Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2,910 Views 19 Replies Last post: Jun 19, 2017 3:44 AM by Oreohelix RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 11 posts since
Apr 27, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 10, 2017 6:25 PM

Getting local B&N to put my book on their shelves

Looking at bookfinder, I see where my book is listed on a variety of websites, including B&N.com. How do I get my local B&N to get physical copies onto their shelves? Is there a trick? Tips? Voodoo? Lol. Any help would be appreciated. So far, distribution has only been via social media and word of mouth.

Thanks!

Level 3 917 posts since
May 25, 2010
1. Jun 10, 2017 9:48 PM in response to: mkbagwell
Re: Getting local B&N to put my book on their shelves

Go to your local B&N. Become friends with the manager. Ask if they will stock your book.

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
2. Jun 11, 2017 4:31 AM in response to: mkbagwell

Bookstores normally only want to buy books that are returnable, then they return whatever copies don't sell in 30 days.  Since POD books are not returnable, that's been an impediment to most POD sales in bookstores.

You can always offer to take the significant financial risk yourself, but then you are, well, taking a significant financial risk.  I would advise doing this only if you are certain that all copies of your book will sell out in 30 days.

This is the reason POD/Amazon is so popular - no upfront cost to the author.

Level 5 12,995 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Jun 11, 2017 7:04 AM in response to: mkbagwell

A quick visit to the B&N website would answer many of your questions. For example, it advises "Barnes & Noble will only sell CreateSpace titles through BN.com and customer orders, not through in-store stocking and replenishment." It also outlines the exact procedures to follow in order for a indie publisher to be considered for in-store placement.

As suggested in a post above, a local store manager may have the power to bypass those procedures, but in my experience, most have been approached so often by self-publishing authors that they won't. Does your local store have a specific section or table for books by local authors and publishers? If not, that's a bad sign. If so, then ask a manager what you need to do to get your book into that particular store.

Level 0 49 posts since
Sep 16, 2014
8. Jun 13, 2017 8:10 AM in response to: mkbagwell

I used ISBNs purchased from Bowkers and the printing house name I incorporated for my books. To a brick and mortar company are they still CS?

Jul 2, 2011
9. Jun 14, 2017 4:37 AM in response to: mkbagwell

mkbagwell wrote:

Oreohelix - When you're talking about the 'significant financial risk', does that mean maybe buying the books myself and supplying them to the local B&N store? That shouldn't be too bad since CS (rightfully so) allows authors to purchase their own books at printing cost plus shipping. Thanks for your answer.

Some people do that and it works for them. I don't want to discourage you from doing that.

Here's the risk:  whatever doesn't sell in (usually) 30 days, they will want to return to you for a refund.  You will be out the cost of the printed book and shipping.  If the Barnes and Noble store is local you could probably just go pick them up, otherwise you'll also pay return shipping.  Also, if the books are on display they get beat up a little, so you might not be able to resell them as new.  If you're OK with that, it probably won't be very expensive even if nothing sells and you haven;t bought 100 copies (maybe 10 copies?).  

Also be aware that BN requires a pretty steep discount, I think 60%, off retail, so make sure to run the numbers before you talk to them.

Best of luck with your book,

Stacy

Jul 2, 2011
10. Jun 14, 2017 4:38 AM in response to: FelixC

FelixC wrote:

I used ISBNs purchased from Bowkers and the printing house name I incorporated for my books. To a brick and mortar company are they still CS?

If you can negotiate the retail discount and returns, they might consider you the distributer, not CS.  Just be careful with what you agree to and make sure the numbers work for you with shipping, etc.

Jul 2, 2011
12. Jun 14, 2017 11:41 AM in response to: mkbagwell

It looks like you've worked out the numbers, so good!

(I wish more people would be logical like that.)

Level 0 49 posts since
Sep 16, 2014
13. Jun 14, 2017 12:04 PM in response to: Oreohelix

Bookstores work on a 55% off cover price? Is that still valid?  I read that last year or so.Now up to 60% for B&N?

Jul 2, 2011
14. Jun 17, 2017 2:48 PM in response to: FelixC

Double-check with them to get a firm number.  I seem to remember they have a slightly different requirement for textbooks.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...