Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
427 Views 7 Replies Last post: Jun 17, 2017 6:24 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Mar 29, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 16, 2017 3:06 PM

ERROR: Insufficient Margins for 8x10 Book + Page Numbers Appear On Opposite Side of Page

Hello Everyone,

First Problem:

I am in the process of trying to get a final proof for a book project created using Adodbe InDesign CC 2015. When I submitted the PDF file to Createspace, I got an error message saying:

"Insufficient gutter, books up to 150 pages require at least .375" for the gutter (inside margin) and at least .25" for the outside, top and bottom margins."

This error applied to only a few pages, so I decided to try and get a printed proof. Upon recieving the physical proof of the book, it turns out all the text was so close to the spine/gutter that is practically unreadable. I think there is about a cenimeter of space between the spine and the text area.

Here are the Margins being used in this document

Top: 1 in

Bottom: 0.7 in

Inside: .75 in

Outside: .53 in

I am puzzled as to why there is such a significant problem with the gutter, but perhaps I am not using enough space for the Inside Margin? Has anyone else experienced this error before? Any suggestions to help remedy this problem are greatly welcomed.

For what it's worth, this is not the first time I've used createspace, and have successfully put to print another project last year (another 8x10, but with different margins---1.13in Inside, if I recall correctly).

Second Problem:

Upon uploading the PDF and looking it over in the reviewer, I noticed that the page numbers have gone from being on the left and right hand corners of the respective pages, they have instead been placed next to the gutter, which I find very puzzling, as when I set them up in InDesign, they were just as I wanted them.

For what its worth, Ive rendered the PDF/X-1a:2001.

Thank you for your feedback!

Level 5 3,661 posts since
Feb 1, 2011

It does not help you get an answer any faster if you post the same question twice, it just irritates people.  The people who hang out gere regularly look at "Browse" and then "Discussions" and we see all of the posts, we do NOT click on each separate community section.

Be patient, there are several InDesign users here who will probably have an answer for you.  I do not use InDesign, I cannot help.

Dan'l

Level 5 18,893 posts since
Sep 5, 2009

The binding method used by CS is very tight:

From your description, your left and right hand page got switched, and your outside border (0.53") is now your inside margin. The 1 centimeter of space you observed, conforms to my observation that we lose 0.25" from the inside edges.

As for why . . . It sounds like you either gained or lost a page in the PDF.  I would go through the PDF very carefully, comparing it to the InDesign file, page by page.  I'm not sure we have enough information to make targeted suggestions.

Walton

Level 3 371 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
I noticed that the page numbers have gone from being on the left and right hand corners of the respective pages, they have instead been placed next to the gutter, which I find very puzzling, as when I set them up in InDesign, they were just as I wanted them.

This suggests that the first page is set up as the verso of a spread master, and not as a single page master.  When exported to PDF as single pages, that would cause the left pages to be on the right and the right on the left.  Page 1 must always a recto.  You can catch this by previewing the PDF with the Adobe Reader prior to uploading it.

I think there is about a centimeter of space between the spine and the text area.

0.375 in. * 2.54 cm/in = 0.9525 cm.

The question for me, though, is why the 0.53" margin was changed to 0.375".  Some possibilities are that the page was resized because it is too large, or there are full-bleed images that don't bleed far enough past the trim line, or there are stray objects beyond the safe zone, etc.  The IR should be helpful when locating problems of that type.  Since the problem is confined to a few pages, I'll suggest examining those pages very carefully with InDesign to identify the problem.  Acrobat Pro can also identify objects beyond the print area, if you have access to that.

Sep 5, 2009

Check your PMs in a few minutes (under the blue "an Amazon company" banner, click on Your Stuff, then Private Messages).

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009

You were basically right . . .

In the InDesign file, the first page of the text was set as a Section, page number 1.  However, the page before it is a recto page.  In InDesign the file looked "fine" . . . i.e. the text spreads looked correct. But when the file was converted to PDF the first text page move to fill the gap, and became a verso page.  I inserted a blank page before text page 1 in the PDF and that appears to have fixed that problem.

There may be other page numbering problems, but they are separate from this issue.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...