This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
619 Views 5 Replies Last post: Jun 21, 2017 4:51 AM by Shanzy RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
Feb 20, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 18, 2017 10:03 AM

Can we market our book on Goodreads?

I thought I read somewhere that Amazon owns Goodreads.  If that is true, then can we advertise our Createspace book on Goodreads since they are sold only through Amazon?  Is it possible to sell books through Goodreads?

Thanks

Level 5 5,048 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Jun 18, 2017 10:44 AM in response to: Shanzy
Re: Can we market our book on Goodreads?

Yes, Amazon owns Goodreads. It's not a sales platform; you cannot buy books directly through Goodreads. As to marketing there, I suggest you read their terms of use to be sure you follow them. Generally community sites like Goodreads discourage outright advertising. They prefer that you engage and become a part of the community, and you can mention your book in that guise. You can also set up an Author page on Goodreads. Again, you should read the terms to see exactly what's involved, and what's allowed and not.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 1 3 posts since
Apr 14, 2011
2. Jun 20, 2017 9:04 AM in response to: Shanzy
Re: Can we market our book on Goodreads?

There are a couple ways you can promote your book on Goodreads. One is by using their self-service advertising program. The other is by participating in their book Giveaway program. Make sure you have a free author account (similar to AuthorCentral on Amazon).

I haven't had much luck promoting my client's books using the advertising program but I suppose it has branding value. But the free Giveaway program has been pretty good to us. You need to commit to mailing 1 or more print copies of your book to a random winner. Be sure to include a note thanking them and inviting them to leave a review. Many do not, but some do. For the price, it is one of the cheapest legit ways to encourage reviews.

We dribble out 1 or 2 books every few weeks, sometimes even for old books. Do that rather than 10 or so books 1 or 2 times. It seems to attract more interest. Not bad for less than $10/book including media mail postage.

Best of luck,

David

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...