Skip navigation
570 Views 5 Replies Last post: Jun 19, 2017 9:37 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Mar 7, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2017 6:11 AM

How will i explain my editor the answer to his questions to ' I Have Questions About My Edit.' when he didn't give a reply.

Excuse me,

I have a problem, I was sending the answers to the few questions to my editor Devon in the 'I Have Questions About My Edit' section in Line Editing section, But so far I haven't got his reply.Can you tell me how I can get his reply?

My Editor's questions and my answer

My Editor's questions and my answer

CE21-Why is he surprised? Haven’t they read this story many times before?

A)      Justin was surprised because he saw the illustration of the castle in the sky from the book.

CE28- Does she say this aloud?

A)      About why Melissa speaking out loud, Yes, She does. I think.

CE44- Is the TV displaying names or pictures?

A)      Yes, The TV displays the names and pictures of the missing people.

CE46- What does he explain? It doesn’t seem there is anything to explain at this point.

A)      The reason he explains about the Green stump to his friends is that he wondered if this led to his father’s disappearance and if it has any connections to the story Jack and the Beanstalk when he was a kid.

CE49- Why is the color important?

A)      The boxes have the similar color because every evidence box have a similar color in Police evidence labs and I saw one from the comics.

CE50- This is very vague. Can you give examples?

A)      About why wrecked objects are vague, I will explain the examples such as Broken furniture and Broken Coffee Mug

CE54- Unclear what is happening here. Something snapping usually means it is breaking.

A)      Yes, It is breaking, It is to signify the vine breaks itself and cause Justin to travel to the Giant world.

CE56- It is unclear why he is saying this. Do people not throw trash on the ground in their own world?

A)     Some people throw trash in a secluded place while most throw them in the bin especially when the trash collector picks them up and throw them in the trash.

CE57- Why is she saying this? Have Jerry and Justin not seen ants before?

A)     Rebecca said about the ants because she watched them on TV like documentaries for example.

CE80- What is he going to check?

A)     Jack, Coleman’s Ancestor needed to go to the farmhouse to check if there anyone is there.

CE81- How so? Hasn’t he already done this once?

A)     Yes but unfortunately Jack tried but it will take more time to make more of those seeds so it’s better to let someone with advanced science finish his work.

CE83- David is the one escaping. Why does it matter if the little people talk?

A)      Because David places Justin and his friends along with the missing researchers in his Jacket pocket which why he aid ‘We have to get out of here’ especially when Curtis will David on why he is talking in his pocket.

CE85- Unclear what this question means.The beanstalk didn’t pass through anything (except the air).

A)      Well according to most fairy tales, The Beanstalk pass to the clouds where the Giant Castle was located., So in my story the beanstalk pass through the air and the galaxy to a different world.

CE90 - What is important about the hobo? And CE91- Justin does not tell David to go to the hobo.

A)      The answer to both questions, Because Justin has an idea to distract Curtis by having David give his coat to the Hobo which is to distract Curtis and will give more enough time for David and his friends to find the Beanstalk.

CE93- Why amazed?

A)     Jerry was amazed because it was the popcorn stand they encountered when they first landed in the giant world.

CE97- What do you mean here? Why would they not see it?

A)      The policemen while searching for Justin and his friends discover the beanstalk and are not sure if their fellow would witness this. That’s why the police officers say ‘I wonder if our backup and the television crew would be shocked to see this—?’

CE98- Is mistaking someone for someone else a crime or worthy of calling the police?

A)      Yes, mistaking someone for someone else is a crime or worthy of calling the police especially for harassment and attacking a person.

CE99- She thought this after only a couple of days?

A)     Well, If a person disappears maybe it is believed that he or she might be captured or dead. That’s why Carol was worried if her husband was gone forever.

Level 5 5,149 posts since
Jan 17, 2010

Well, I can tell you that posting the Q&A here isn't likely to help you. Who is your editor? Did you contract CS's editing services? If so, then you're not likely to get any answers. CS does not allow direct contact between authors and their subcontractors. In my opinion, this isn't the optimal way to edit a novel, for the exact reason you've discovered.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you've contracted CS to edit, then CS Customer Support is a better place to ask than this user forum. Try the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 19,049 posts since
Sep 5, 2009

If you are using the CS editing service, and this is where you are, then I would bite the bullet and start over.  For a variety of reasons, I used BookSurge's editing service many many years ago (BS was the progenitor of CS). I went throug 5 eidotrs, and about 17 months.  I thought I would save time!  Hah!

Here is what I would . . . then, after getting it to this point, I would go to someone like Sarah . . .

(I wrote this for another post about finding an affordable editor)

How long does it take you to read your novel 3-5 times?   Now  multiply that by minimum wage.  That's what it would cost you if the  clerk at McDonald's edits your book.

Editing is more than just spelling, grammar, and punctuation.  Knowing what editors do will help you.

Copy: spelling, grammar, punctuation, house style (Chicago, MLA, APA, etc.). Often call line editing.

Fact: check matters of external fact, e.g. the capital of AZ is Phoenix, not Flagstaff.

Integrity/Continuity:  checks matters of internal fact; this could be references, etc., or if  Jane was 28 on page 19, but somehow a few days later, on page 217 she is  39.

Language: how ideas are expressed, sentence complexity,logic, jargon, etc.

Substantive: works on the overall idea of the book, style, necessary information, etc.

Technical: specialized expertise, e.g. computer expertise for a how-to computer book

There  other editors: format, mechanical, permissions, policy, project,  screening, submissions, etc., but these much more the purview of  traditional publishers.

Go thorugh your book as if you were each of those editors.  When I edit, I work in waves.  I cannot do it all as I read through the book.  Have scene and character pages (you can download blanks from my free page, link below).

Whether you hire an editor or not, the more you do the better.

• Enable  spell check.  Start at the beginning.  Correct or add to your  dictionary every word with a red squiggle.  You goal: no red squiggles.
  • Enable  grammar check.  This is a terrible program (in every program I've see  it), but use it.  For each marked problem, answer why you are right and  the grammar check is wrong.  Answer out loud.  Thinking the idea or  mumbling should be forbidden.  If your best answer is "Um, because,"  consider recasting the sentence.
  • Read looking for issues in waves.  Read looking for this, then read looking for that. 
  • Read and re-read your book.  10-20 times isn't too many.  Use paper not your monitor.  Read with pen in hand. 
  • Read  your book out loud to someone.  You're tongue will catch things your  eye won't.  Your listener will catch things you haven't
  • Listen to your book being read. Reader (for PDFs) and Word both have text to speech features. See http://merabheja.com/best-free-text-to-speech-tools/ for a list of free programs.  Your ear will catch things you missed otherwise.
  • Have  copies printed (1-5 proof copies, or as many as you want after  approving the proof . . . just don't enable distribution) . . . give  copies to "beta" readers.  Have them read pen in hand.  Big, hard to  miss notations.
  • Review and combine all the corrections. 

Make  a new PDF.  Review it very carefully.  If it is okay, upload it.  Do  not upload doc, docx, or rtf files.  Order proof copies.  Proofread them  carefully . . . again, if you can use your "beta readers" great.

For  good proofreading, work with someone.  Read out loud.  Say the  punctuation: "For good proofreading comma work with someone period."  Trade off reading.

Remember the editor's best tool:

At  this point, you've done as much as is possible on your own.  This is  really the time to consider an editor.  If you choose to go this way,  there is nothing wrong with getting a few pages edited as a sample of  the editor's work. Just be prepared to pay more than minimum wage.

Editing  can be a bloodsport.  It is hard work.  If and editor makes this  suggestion and the best you can say is, "No, my way is better, because!"  He's probably right; of course, if the best he can say is "because,"  you might be right.  A good editor wants your work to be the best it can  be (it is never his/her work, it is yours: your story, your characters,  your voice).

If  you do not know what or where hackles are, work with an editor  (director, producer, etc. . . . all the arts have someone), you'll  quickly discover them.  Keep in mind: big mistakes often hide a myriad  of little ones; change one word, make one edit, and suddenly that  perfect page falls apart;

I am sorry that none of us can help you more than this.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 4,054 posts since
Oct 27, 2010

My reading of this is that you are not required to provide answers to the editor, you are meant to rewrite the text to dispel the questions. In other words, the editor is pointing out areas for you to work on. If the editor is confused, other readers are likely to be equally confused, and that's not a good thing.

Level 4 2,316 posts since
Feb 7, 2015

Having dealt with a number of editors and as a former editor myself, I can tell you that the one sure way to make an editor see red is to offer justifications for things the editor identifies as problems.

Level 5 19,049 posts since
Sep 5, 2009

Looking again at your original post, I think Maaku is right.  Lorem-ipsum is right too . . .

Look at the first two questions:

CE21-Why is he surprised? Haven’t they read this story many times before?  You have an answer, because of XYZ.  Okay, does the reader know that? If you have to explain it, it suggests that you did not say it.

CE28- Does she say this aloud? A)  About why Melissa speaking out loud, Yes, She does. I think.  She does I think!?  This is your world, your story . . .  I think is only a tad better than because.

I believe you can disagree with the editor.  If you hired the editor, you can ignore everything he or she says.  If you are with a traditional publisher, you can disagree with your editor but you should have a very good, sound, reason.  Such a reason should never be "I think."  Not all editors are good, but most have two things you don't: fresh eyes and more experience editing.  It's all a bell shaped curve: if you've got a really bad editor (for example, one who willfully rewrites things making them factually wrong) run.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...