Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

1,491 Views 19 Replies Last post: Jun 19, 2017 3:44 AM by Oreohelix RSS Go to original post
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 12 posts since
Oct 11, 2016
Currently Being Moderated
15. Jun 17, 2017 3:58 PM in response to: mkbagwell
Re: Getting local B&N to put my book on their shelves

I wish I had read this post (and replies to it) earlier. I had just sent an email to Createspace with the same question. I had a discussion with BN store manager about placing my books on their local store. She checked and saw my books on their online store, but said they were marked "non-returnable". She asked me to tell my publishers to remove the "non-returnable clause" to allow BN display them for sale. I had just sent that request to CS, not sure what the implications were, before clicking to "Community". Now, I am better educated. Thank you, all.

The question left on my mind is: Do all book stores have this "non-returnable" condition?

Level 4 2,376 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
16. Jun 18, 2017 5:32 AM in response to: Author7

The big chains all have the "returnable" requirement.  It's possible some smaller bookstores have their own rules.

Createspace will not make your books returnable under any circumstances.

What BN is asking for is for someone else to assume the significant financial risk of unsold books.

One thing I should add:  Ingram (via Createspace's EDC channel) can make the books returnable.  However, all that means is that they will allow BN to use their ordering mechanism, but *you* (the author) are still financially liable for returns.  If your books are not immediately popular you could lose a lot of money that way. Remember it's the cost of books plus shipping both ways.  Not cheap.

My strong suggestion is to build up a significant fan base before even considering allowing returns.   Once you have that base built up, you can opt for a regular print run that will allow you to offer the steep discount, too.

Level 5 3,614 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
18. Jun 18, 2017 8:30 PM in response to: mkbagwell
I went to Bowkers to purchase an ISBN (Ingram will not accept the free CS ISBN) - that's $125.

We all knew this I think - it's owned by CS, but if you buy from Bowker in blocks of 10, that brings the price down to about $25 each.

Converting your file to an E-book with Bowkers is $139.

Why would anybody want to do this?  You can do it yourself for free, or you can submit it to IngramSpark (IS), where it's free right now (until July 31)

Barcodes through them are $25 apiece.

No need to buy a barcode - CS and IS both put the barcode on your cover for free and if you want one for your copyright page free ones are available through several sources, but most of use the ones from https://www.bookow.com/resources.php#isbn-barcode-generator

Then there's purchasing a QR code,

WHY?

registering your copyright,

WHY?

licensing the book's content, etc.

WHY?

Bowker has all kinds of things that they try and sucker you into buying.  I kid you not, I get e-mails from them several days a week trying to get me to buy stuff that I do not even begin to need.  The ONLY thing you absolutely need from them is the ISBN.  Do NOT buy anything else that they try and get you to spend money on.

Dan'l

Level 4 2,376 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
19. Jun 19, 2017 3:44 AM in response to: mkbagwell

I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that e-books and POD will have to suffice.

Any eye-opening, earth-shattering insight from the masses?

This is the reason POD is so popular, my friend.

One of the reasons BN inspires some sales is because people have book signings there.  But, you can have book signings other places, like libraries and book clubs.  Ex:  if your book is about gardening, have a signing at a garden store.  Bring some copies to sell, and hand out bookmarks or some other low cost thing with the Amazon info on it.  Then do social media (I never got into social media myself, but it works for some people.)

When you do your signing, give a short, captivating presentation on your book.

Other avenues depend on the theme of your book.  Do you have fiction, non-fiction, technical...?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...