Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

689 Views 10 Replies Last post: Aug 6, 2017 6:57 AM by Seisa RSS
Level 0 9 posts since
May 16, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2017 1:31 PM

KDP Conversion for $79

I understand that in the past, a lot of people have talked about the KDP conversion offered by CreateSpace for $79.  I'm curious, since the previous discussions that I have seen are over a year old, is anyone having problems with this service now, or more recently I should say?  A lot of people were upset about how KDP converted their PDF's with "spelling errors" popping up.  Has anyone recently come across this issue?

Level 2 604 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
1. Jul 15, 2017 3:38 PM in response to: Jimmy17
Re: KDP Conversion for $79

It is said by most on here that you should not allow CS to convert your manuscript for KDP. Use the free software out there to do it yourself, like Calibre or get a professional to do the conversion.

Joe.

Level 5 3,609 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
3. Jul 15, 2017 7:43 PM in response to: Jimmy17

Well, no matter what you use to get your ebook created - you need to open a KDP account and uipload your book there, that is, if you want it to be available as a Kindle edition.

Dan'l

Level 2 604 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
4. Jul 15, 2017 7:45 PM in response to: Jimmy17

Yes, KDP and CS are totally separate entities despite being owned by the same parent company, Amazon. I have had satisfactory results using Calibre, others say that the small price to pay for Jutoh is worth it. I couldn't comment on that. All I know is that allowing either CS or KDP to perform the conversion is fraught with inadequacy.

Joe.

Level 2 604 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
5. Jul 15, 2017 7:47 PM in response to: danwiz

Sorry Dan'l, I think we were replying at the same time then.

Level 0 1 posts since
Jun 20, 2016
7. Aug 5, 2017 8:38 AM in response to: Phoenix61

Is this still the case. I have paid for the conversion and have been assured it will be smooth?

Level 5 5,988 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
8. Aug 5, 2017 1:07 PM in response to: Pins

I haven't used CS paid services but from what I've heard the shook conversions are ok for a text based book without any complex formatting requirements. Communication on any paid services with CS is always an issue as you can't speak directly to the designer. Either way once the game book is converted you still need to finalize publication at KDP.

Level 2 109 posts since
Jun 20, 2017
9. Aug 6, 2017 6:33 AM in response to: Pins

You paid? Isn't it free (and not good value at that)?

Automagical conversions are seldom successful. If you use CS to "format" your Kindle version, what they actually do is send the PDF over to Amazon, and that rarely works out well.

Similarly, it's a very bad idea to use KDP Print to build a print edition. Use each division for what it was intended to do.

I recommend Sigil (free, powerful, excellent) which builds an epub, the universal format, so you can sell your book on Apple, Barnes & Noble, and other online bookstores, and perhaps get them into libraries.

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Level 5 4,964 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
10. Aug 6, 2017 6:57 AM in response to: Notjohn

Notjohn wrote:

You paid? Isn't it free (and not good value at that)?

CS offers both. The free version is as you said, just converting the PDF files and sending them over to KDP. The $79 conversion is a bit more sophisticated (involving actual code, from what I understand), but I've never seen the result, so I can't comment on the quality.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...