Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
278 Views 2 Replies Last post: Jul 16, 2017 7:33 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Mar 26, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2017 9:10 PM

Front and back cover

Is there a way for me to upload my own front cover, and use a create space template to create a back cover? I do have a full front and back cover made, but it's just a smidge too big and Im not sure how to resize it without messing up the DPI. Any advice will help. Thank you!

Level 5 4,964 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Jul 15, 2017 11:45 PM in response to: 1-JD
Re: Front and back cover

If you use the Cover Creator and either the Palm or Pine template, you can upload a .jpg of your front cover and it will provide the spine and back.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 18,780 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Jul 16, 2017 7:33 AM in response to: 1-JD
Re: Front and back cover

Depending on your skill level and the specifics of the art, I would approach this differently.

• Download a good cover template from Bookow, it's free.
  • Open it in a graphics editing program (Photoshop, GIMP, etc.)
  • Increase the size of the canvas/layer (do no enlarge the image) to equal or exceed the existing cover art
  • Paste the cover art into the working file
  • Resize the cover art (as a whole or in pieces: back cover, spine, front cover)
  • Save the file
  • Flatten and crop a copy of the file
  • Examine it very carefully, to which end, I would print it

It is surprising how much distortion (i.e. resizing in a non-proportional way) a cover can take . . . way more than most of us would initially guess. Depending on the degree of resizing, if your art is in one pieces (back, spine, front) you might have to break it up into pieces.  I would also drag in guidelines based on the template.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...