Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
263 Views 2 Replies Last post: Jul 16, 2017 10:40 AM by Seisa RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Jul 14, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2017 10:32 AM

Can someone please answer my questions re formating and royalties?

I am new here and new to Amazon publishing and Kindle although I have used an ereader for years. I need to know if I can incorporate photos into text columns in an 8x10 paperback book? I'll be using a two column format on each page but don't want pages and pages of just text. I have wonderful photos I can scan 300 dpi or higher that will help break up the text and add interest. Is the format up to me or does Amazon dictate it? I don't want to go to all the work of collaging the photos five or six at a time into pdf pages if I can simply insert them into the text columns where they will do the most good and make the most sense to the reader. 

And, I am Canadian. I was told that royalties could not be direct deposited to my bank although my friend, who has more than 50 detective mystery novels up on Amazon and Kindle, has his direct deposited and he lives 5 miles from me. Create space told me that. I'm wondering why the difference and how do I find out what is what.

I also need some advice on royalties. I have no idea whether to go the 35 or 70% route. I'm a 75-year-old woman and I've written my autobiography over two years. I've written for newspapers and magazines, newsletters and blogs for 55 years. I have a progressively, debilitating neuromuscular disease that affects people world-wide and would like the book to be available to as many people as possible. Does the royalty structure affect distribution?

Anyone? Thank you!

Level 5 5,156 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Jul 17, 2017 1:53 AM in response to: thedogrules
Re: Can someone please answer my questions re formating and royalties?

Welcome! CreateSpace prints the file you upload, so if you want images, put them in the interior file as you want them.

thedogrules wrote:

And, I am Canadian. I was told that royalties could not be direct deposited to my bank although my friend, who has more than 50 detective mystery novels up on Amazon and Kindle, has his direct deposited and he lives 5 miles from me.

Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) will direct deposit to a Canadian bank account I think, but CreateSpace will not. You can ask your bank if they can provide you a US account and link it to your Canadian account. Some Canadian banks have US branches.

I also need some advice on royalties. I have no idea whether to go the 35 or 70% route.

That's a factor at KDP (ebooks), not CreateSpace (paperbacks). At CS, you set the retail list price, and your royalty is based off that, minus the production cost and channel fees. You can see what your royalty would be through each channel with this calculator.

Does the royalty structure affect distribution?

Royalties don't affect distribution; it's the other way around. Again, you can use the calculator linked above to see the differences.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 5,156 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
2. Jul 16, 2017 10:40 AM in response to: thedogrules
Re: Can someone please answer my questions re formating and royalties?

Aaaannnnnd once again, my detailed answer is under moderation. Thank you, CS Mods, for once again blocking helpful posts rather than stopping the spam attacks.

To the OP: hopefully my real post will appear shortly, where I did actually answer your questions.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...