Skip navigation
966 Views 14 Replies Last post: Jul 16, 2017 12:49 PM by enkidu RSS
Level 5 6,033 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2017 9:26 PM

11 Straight Pages of Spam - Great Job CS

Time to face the problem or shut it down boys because this is the reason you're losing all the members willing to help other and stop your call centers from being overrun.

Level 2 648 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
1. Jul 13, 2017 9:38 PM in response to: R.C.
Re: 11 Straight Pages of Spam - Great Job CS

Shhhhhhhhh! You'll be moderated for such insurrection. The post will be removed like your last!!!! CS do not like the truth.

Level 2 171 posts since
Sep 15, 2015
2. Jul 14, 2017 12:42 AM in response to: R.C.

Busy removing spam. Someone posted 169 spam messages. Too much to remove.

Level 2 648 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
4. Jul 14, 2017 5:26 PM in response to: R.C.

And yet your last post on the subject was removed? Go figure? A lot of time spent moderating posts from five-star members, but no headway into the spam problem.

Level 5 15,307 posts since
May 4, 2008
5. Jul 14, 2017 6:32 PM in response to: R.C.

I hope everyone has stopped removing the spam here. Let the mods see how bad the problem can get and they will be forced to deal with it. Right now they don't care because we're doing their job for them.

Meanwhile, legitmate users will hopefully find somewhere else (such as SPF) to get answers in a spam-free environment.

Level 5 5,156 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
6. Jul 14, 2017 11:41 PM in response to: lipmag

The only spam I report is if it's disguised well enough to make me think it's legit and click on it, or the spam comments on an existing thread (basically for the same reason: I clicked the thread and saw the spam, so I report it). Other than that, nope.

Level 2 450 posts since
Apr 1, 2015
7. Jul 15, 2017 9:18 AM in response to: R.C.

I'm sticking with my opinion that CS is not interested in preventing spam for the sole reason that it wants users to migrate to the KDP forum.  That said, I note that CS does filter out spam at a later time (I presume prior to archiving posts) as it does not want to waste storage space.  To reduce frustration, one could regard spam as just free enterprise capitalism at work, or skip the current day's offerings and work from previous days' posts.—enkidu

Level 4 2,438 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
8. Jul 15, 2017 9:41 AM in response to: enkidu

If CS didn't want people to use the forum here, the easiest way to accomplish that would be to just remove the forum.

I don't see conspiracy, just low priority.

If you see spam being removed by the next day, I think it's other forum members removing it, not CS.

Level 2 450 posts since
Apr 1, 2015
9. Jul 15, 2017 10:12 AM in response to: Oreohelix

It's a dollars and cents thing.  As long as support is crowd-sourced and costs CS next to nothing, then yes, priority will be low.  But as Lipmag states in Post #5, were CS to suddenly be inundated with support queries, we'd see some sort of action: maybe they would shut it (the forum) down; maybe they'd improve the functionality of the platform.

And perhaps you're right: maybe there's a clean-up crew that revels in zapping spam.  At one time, I shouldered part of the load.  As you know, one can spend ten minutes on one entry since, with elapsed time, previous entries surface with each deletion.  But once CS started penalizing spam zappers, I stopped, like many others did.  Now I find it better to just ignore it.—enkidu  

Level 2 171 posts since
Sep 15, 2015
10. Jul 15, 2017 4:01 PM in response to: Oreohelix

Both forum members and CS remove spam.

I do report spam (morning, european time) and I always click on 'spam' in the drop down menu so it actually gets removed.

I noticed that a lot of times the rest of the spam gets removed within hours. Like the 11 pages of spam.

Level 5 19,049 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
11. Jul 15, 2017 4:11 PM in response to: JacB21

I found myself spending 1-3 hours removing spam every day.  Then one day when it was very bad, I called CustomerSupport, something I had been told to do.  I reported the spam on the Community Forum.  The person I talked with looked at the site and saw the spam.  She said she would report it.  An hour later I received an email from CS CustomerSupport, could you send us the URL for the CreateSpace Community Forum.  I have not removed a single spam since.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 15,307 posts since
May 4, 2008
12. Jul 15, 2017 10:30 PM in response to: R.C.

Seems Amazon is getting bad at moderation all over their business, not just in the forums:

https://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/2017/07/15/scammers-break-the-kindle-store/

(Also, I had to wade through 5 pages of spam to find this thread.)

Level 5 3,762 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
13. Jul 16, 2017 9:17 AM in response to: lipmag

WOW!  That was very enlightening (and disgusting).  Thank you Michelle.

Dan'l

Level 2 450 posts since
Apr 1, 2015
14. Jul 16, 2017 12:49 PM in response to: lipmag

Among his calls for action, David should have demanded investigation by special independent counsel.  The democracy of eRetailing is at stake!—enkidu

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...