Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
543 Views 8 Replies Last post: Jul 17, 2017 9:22 AM by reffort RSS
Level 1 183 posts since
Jul 22, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2017 9:19 AM

Re-loading a new file on a published piece

Hi!,

I looked this up, but did not see the answers to my questions. I asked Createspace, but it might be days before I get an answer. When I uploaded my file, everything looked great. I hit approve. 24 hours later, I used the digital proof reader to proof my book --- first time ever, I have previously always used hardcopies. Everything looked great! No problems with the formating. Being a little pressed for time... wanting to get it done... I approved the copy based on the digital read out. I ordered a boat load of books, they finally show up... and the formatting is off. Numerous hard copy proofs never showed this problem. I have already contacted Createspace and they have investigated the problem and agreed, there was something not right on their end. They suggested I change my pngs to jpegs and re-upload.

My questions are:

How anyone else had to change from pngs to jpgs, and has the quality stayed the same?

The problem I am facing it that somewhere along the line, borders were added to the all the illustrations. Does anyone know for sure that switching to jpegs will eliminate this?

I don't want my book to be unavailabe for any great lengths of time, but at this point, I do not trust the digital readers. I don't trust the proofs either, as this was not a problem in any of the proofs. So, for those who have also had this problem... how long did it take to fix before your books were back on the sales table?

Does reloading affect the royalities? It isn't a new book, so I assume not, I'm just not sure how reloading affects the availablity. Can people still buy the book using the old format while I'm waiting to have the changes approved?

I feel like there are more questions that I do not know to ask. All information appreciated.

Thanks!

Level 4 2,492 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
1. Jul 15, 2017 9:37 AM in response to: beetles_bub
Re: Re-loading a new file on a published piece

Hi B,

Uploading a new book won't affect the royalties once the book is back on sale.

Once you upload a new interior, the book will be unavailable for sale until you approve the new version.

Your approval decisions should be made on the physical copy, not the interior reviewer or the pdf for just the reasons you have noted.  The proof will be the same as the physical copies your buyers will see (except for small differences in binding, trimming, etc. due to normal variance.)

Regarding image formats, most any image processing fsoftware can output a jpg.

Stacy

Level 4 2,492 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
3. Jul 15, 2017 10:40 AM in response to: beetles_bub

Regarding outputting file formats:

Which program do you use to handle your images?  You should be able to save (some programs may call it "export") the image in a variety of formats.  Jpg, being a common format, will certainly be one of the choices.

The book will be unavailable until *you* approve it.  The CS review process takes ~24 hours, but since you have noticed differences between the digital version and the print version, you'll probably want to get a print version in hand to review before approving it again.  The shipping of that print version will take more time than the review.  It's up to you if you think the time lag is worth it.

I'm not sure about the borders on the images.  I'd have to know how the images were made and how they were inserted. 

Stacy

Level 3 412 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
4. Jul 15, 2017 12:43 PM in response to: beetles_bub

If the printed proofs are satisfactory, the problem does not lie with the digital proofing tools but with a production printing process that does not match the proof printing process.

I have already contacted Createspace and they have investigated the problem and agreed, there was something not right on their end. They suggested I change my pngs to jpegs and re-upload.

What they are suggesting is a (potential) workaround for this problem.

somewhere along the line, borders were added to the all the illustrations. Does anyone know for sure that switching to jpegs will eliminate this?

Without having any first-hand knowledge of the problem, this sounds like it might be a transparency flattening error.  If so, using JPEGs (which don't support transparency) might resolve it.

I do not trust the digital readers. I don't trust the proofs either, as this was not a problem in any of the proofs.

There's no way that we can control the particular process that will be used to print any of our books, so I'll also suggest making and uploading a PDF/X-1 file, which will automatically eliminate transparency and a goodly number of other basic problems that can surface when using unknown processes.

Level 5 6,033 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
6. Jul 16, 2017 7:26 PM in response to: beetles_bub

The first issue is uploading Word documents as this is very likely to cause formatting issues. Word is not a portable file system, therefore, how it displays on one computer is not going to be the same on another. PDF is meant as a portable format (it's right in the name Portable Document Format) so how it displays at your end will be the same elsewhere. Always convert the file to PDF for upload.

The 'borders' you see are caused by transparencies not being flattened when CS automatically converts your file. Here is a breif explination on image transparencies.

https://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/transparency

There are plenty of PDF profiles you can use but basically if your images are RBG then you should use PDF-A and if they are CMYK you should use PDF-X. There are plenty of other settings you can look at depending on the software you use to create the PDF such as image downsampling but you need to research these based on the individual software.

Switching from PNG to JPG will definitely cause a loss of quality because a PNG file uses lossless compression where as a JPG uses loss compression. Each time a file containing a JPG is saved the image quality is reduced slightly. That said, the loss is very minor and in most cases unnoticible without thousands of compressions. Most imagery submitted in JPG will print fine.

Visit Us On Facebook    Visit Us On Twitter    Visit Us On Youtube    Visit Us On Pinterest

Level 3 412 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
8. Jul 17, 2017 9:22 AM in response to: beetles_bub

If transparencies were never put into the files by me, how did they get there? . . . I used Gimp

GIMP automatically adds a transparency channel that is preserved with PNG files.  To eliminate it, you will need to flatten the transparency just before saving the file.  For your application, though, I would prefer a black-and-white .TIF file.

What if I save as a jpg, reopen the jpg and then save as a png?

That won't eliminate the transparency because of the automatic transparency channel.  It will also give you JPEG artifacts, which you don't want with line drawings.

I know that none of my attempts to upload a PDF file were successful.

Making a good PDF is something that is worth taking the time and trouble to figure out for your workflow, as is selecting the right software.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...