Skip navigation
707 Views 7 Replies Last post: Jul 17, 2017 12:33 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
Level 0 36 posts since
Mar 13, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2017 11:39 AM

Can the hardcover version have a different font than the paperback one?

I messed up with the font in my paperback. I used Calibri 12 because it looks really good in Word but I didn't know it's not suitable for print. Since I published it I made some changes because CS let me to, but changing the font would be too much since I had already sold more than 30 copies. But now I have the chance to do things right. I'm preparing to publish the hardcover with Ingram but I don't know if it's the right thing to do. If I change the font, the page numbers, table of content and figures will also be changed. Can I do that?

PS: It's a non-fiction, how-to book.

Level 2 648 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
1. Jul 15, 2017 3:34 PM in response to: PierreA
Re: Can the hardcover version have a different font than the paperback one?

Not sure why you are hesitant about changing the font of your paperback? Doesn't matter how many people bought your book, change the font as often as you want. Get all that right then use that same file for your hardback with whatever submission requirements for IS.

Joe.

Level 2 648 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
3. Jul 16, 2017 3:34 PM in response to: PierreA

Sorry, I cannot agree with your suggestion. Font, book cover, and TOC are simply semantics. If the content (story, information etc..), is unchanged, then the rest is window dressing that has no impact on the message within. Leave everything the way it is with all editions if you truly feel that changing anything will impact on your sales. You are shooting yourself in the foot as I see it. If the interior needs to be improved, then improve it in all editions. Ask yourself if you foresee selling more hardcovers than paperbacks, then act according to the answer.

Joe.

Level 5 6,033 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
4. Jul 16, 2017 3:49 PM in response to: PierreA

A hardcover SHOULD have a different format than a paperback. Harcovers are meant to be 'a step above' and the format should reflect this. I would be rather disappointed to purchase a hardcover and find it formatted the same as the paperback copy (mass market or trade)

Visit Us On Facebook    Visit Us On Twitter    Visit Us On Youtube    Visit Us On Pinterest

Level 4 2,438 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
5. Jul 17, 2017 6:04 AM in response to: PierreA

If someone bought my book and liked it. And then he bought it again to gift his friend. But the second book is with different font, page count, table of contents etc. It could generate a bad review.

Nah.   Different printings of Shakespeare have a lot of different fonts.  I doubt it affected his reviews.

Level 5 6,033 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
6. Jul 17, 2017 6:55 AM in response to: Oreohelix

Unless the font you want to change to is Wingdings I doubt it will have any effect on reviews.

Level 4 2,326 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
7. Jul 17, 2017 12:33 PM in response to: R.C.

Naw, it was Comic Sans.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...