Skip navigation
628 Views 5 Replies Last post: Jul 17, 2017 12:25 PM by Lorem_Ipsum RSS
Level 0 1 posts since
Apr 2, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2017 1:47 PM

Help needed converting a paperback book into an E-book

Hi everyone! I wish to have my poetry book available on Kindle as well, not only on Amazon.

I tried uploading to Kindle the same PDF that I used for the Createspace but it did not look right. Is there a way to convert the original document nto a PDF that would be looking alright, without having words or letters falling, or images distorted?

I have been told that I need to use either Latex or Lyx software and rewrite the book, resize the images and then save it as a PDF. The problem is that I don't know how to use any of these two softwares.

How did you convert your book into an E-book? Any tips that I could use?  Have you considered hiring someone to do it for you?

Thank you all.

Level 5 6,033 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
1. Jul 16, 2017 3:52 PM in response to: lavinika
Re: Help needed converting a paperback book into an E-book

First, do not ever upload a PDF for ebook, you should be creating a mobi or epub file as ebooks have flowable text and the fixed format of a PDF simply does not translate.

I suggest looking into both Calibre and Sigil as software to create the files.

Visit Us On Facebook    Visit Us On Twitter    Visit Us On Youtube    Visit Us On Pinterest

Level 5 3,762 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
2. Jul 16, 2017 4:51 PM in response to: lavinika

What software did you use to create your book?  I have always uploaded Word *.doc files (not *.docx) to KDP and they have NEARLY always converted to Kindle's MOBI files prefectly.  The one time a book did not convert was when it had a great deal of complex formatting (specifically - tables) and in that case I used Calibre.

Give it a try, you have not got much to lose except around 30 minutes of time.

Dan'l

Level 4 1,580 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
3. Jul 16, 2017 6:59 PM in response to: lavinika

Hi Lavinika,

Latex and Lyx are great for print, but print is not great for e-books. Latex and Lyx (Lyx is a front-end for Latex) produce PDFs, and PDFs are not what you want for e-books.

As others have suggested, simpy upload the Word file to kdp.amazon.com, and you might get reasonable results, depending on many factors, such as how you've set up your Table of Contents, your chapter headings, your indentation, spacing, page breaks, etc.

Alternatively, use Sigil or Calibre for more control. Alternatively, export from Word to HTML and edit the HTML if you know how to do that.

Or hire someone.

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Level 2 134 posts since
Jun 20, 2017
4. Jul 17, 2017 8:16 AM in response to: lavinika

As R.C. advises, don't ever upload a PDF to the KDP for an ebook. (By the same token, don't ever accept CS's invitation to do the Kindle edition for you, because it will -- upload a PDF!)

The easiest way to format a Kindle edition is to upload a Word file, including and indeed favoring *.docx. Amazon has spent millions trying to make Word docs work. The same is not as true of other word processing documents. And even Word of course is dodgy. What you see on the page is not what's in the underlying html, and it's the html that rules. You simply cannot use Word as a typewriter. It's a program for formatting html through a pretty interface. See the third post on my blog for pointers on how to use Styles in Word.

Much better is epub (or mobi, which is a specialized version of epub that will backwards convert to the old KF7 format). What I would do is run that Word doc through Word2CleanHtml dot com online, open the resulting html file in Sigil, and tweak it there as needed. Takes some learning, but easiest in the long term. You can get the latest  version at https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases.

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Level 4 2,326 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
5. Jul 17, 2017 12:25 PM in response to: lavinika

Or buy Jutoh, which will automate the conversion process and generate a clean EPUB or MOBI. Well worth the $39 it costs.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...