1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
2,057 Views 31 Replies Last post: Aug 21, 2017 7:23 AM by Dragonish RSS
  1 2 3 Previous Next
Level 0 86 posts since
Aug 11, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2017 5:35 AM

Latest info re: putting 'own ISBN' on book cover

I have my own imprint - hence always use my batch of  (UK) Neilsen ISBN's.  

I've previously found the Createspace and 'Bookow' cover templates to work well and have usually generated my own barcode via 'Bookow' and placed on the correct section of the cover template, using Photoshop or Serif Page Plus. 

Haven't published new books since last year - heard there were some changes re: Createspace and ISBN's - hence questions below.

Questions:

• Can I still use my own ISBN with Createspace?
  • Can I still generate my own barcode and put on the cover?

OR:

• Do I just send the barcode details, with the cover, for Createspace to generate and put on the cover?

All help, with above query, gratefully received!

Level 5 5,988 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
1. Jul 17, 2017 6:58 AM in response to: Dragonish
Re: Latest info re: putting 'own ISBN' on book cover

You can still use your own ISBN and Barcode, and there have been no 'official' changes however some cover reviewers have been replacing custom barcodes with the standard CS barcode on files when going through review. Note that this is only occasionally and does not seem to have a specific cause or reason behind it.

Level 5 12,626 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Jul 17, 2017 7:44 AM in response to: Dragonish

Dragonish wrote:

Questions:

• Can I still use my own ISBN with Createspace?
  • Can I still generate my own barcode and put on the cover?

Yes to both.

Many DIY members (and even some paid cover artists) will take a valid barcode, convert it to RGB colorspace, and rasterize it -- which would result in a barcode that's rendered using halftones that might not scan properly. CreateSpace may replace those, or reject the cover submission if such a barcode image was also rescaled and relocated. But with PagePlus (or any design program), it's easy to insert the barcode in vector format with 100% K-only color, so you should have no problems at all.

Level 2 109 posts since
Jun 20, 2017
3. Jul 17, 2017 8:19 AM in response to: Dragonish

I suspect that those changes you mention are actually the consequence of the rollout of the (much inferior) KDP Print Beta.

I have been assured that CreateSpace does a eyeball check of the back cover, and if there is a bar code in place, it will not be over-ridden.

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Level 3 351 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
4. Jul 17, 2017 8:22 AM in response to: Dragonish

The PDF Submission Specification was revised in April and again in May.  The major change to the May revision is that customer-supplied bar codes are no longer specifically accommodated: the section defining customer bar code requirements was deleted.  The "Barcode Size and Placement" section now says:

Commonly we see that publisher-submitted barcodes have underlying issues which prevent orders from being fulfilled in a timely manner. To prevent this, we will automatically add a high resolution and appropriately-sized barcode to ensure that there are no delays or issues for customer orders and other retailers.

We will automatically add a barcode in the lower right-hand corner of your book?s back cover, free of charge. [p.63]

There is some wiggle room in the wording, so it is possible that each cover is handled on a case-by-case basis, but there is no longer any indication that customer-supplied barcodes will be accepted.

Aug 22, 2008
9. Jul 17, 2017 10:47 AM in response to: reffort

reffort wrote:

The major change to the May revision is that customer-supplied bar codes are no longer specifically accommodated: the section defining customer bar code requirements was deleted.

Wow, I had not picked up on that. [OP should mark your answer as correct.]

It prompted me to check the back cover on a book order I placed just a couple of weeks ago that has always carried a barcode that I inserted, with the list price encoded in the extension. In the print-ready PDF, it is in vector format, 100% K-only, and the same size and in the same location as indicated on the CreateSpace template. But as you suggested, they nevertheless replaced my barcode with theirs (which carries the 90000 no price encoded extension) on this latest book order. I inspected the books when they arrived, but obviously didn't look at that detail, and had no idea.

So my response above is no longer accurate. And thank you for the correction!

Level 3 351 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
10. Jul 17, 2017 2:20 PM in response to: Dragonish

Does this mean that a 'Createspace ISBN number' would automatically be added?  OR

That Createspace will automatically add their generated version of my UK Neilsen barcode?? (probably not!)

Possibly both.

Customer-provided ISBNs are still OK per the specification, but if the customer doesn't provide one during the project setup, CS will assign a free one or sell a "Custom Universal" ISBN (I think this is probably US residents only).  The bar code on the back cover would be generated from the ISBN assigned to the project.

Level 3 351 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
11. Jul 17, 2017 2:33 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

The first time I noticed it, it took a couple of days for me to realize just what it was that didn't look quite right: The bar code font had changed to Helvetica.  After spending a good while trying to figure out what I did wrong, I decided to read the directions again . . . and they were different.  Back in late May I made a subtle reference to there being a new PDF Specification, but it was probably too subtle.

Level 5 5,988 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
12. Jul 17, 2017 2:44 PM in response to: reffort

The odd part is that it is not all books being replaced. My most recent still has the custom barcode on the cover. I don't know if they are replacing only those with issues or perhaps only those that are reviewed by specific reviewers but it is not consistent.

Visit Us On Facebook    Visit Us On Twitter    Visit Us On Youtube    Visit Us On Pinterest

Aug 22, 2008
13. Jul 17, 2017 3:11 PM in response to: R.C.

R.C. wrote:

I don't know if they are replacing only those with issues or perhaps only those that are reviewed by specific reviewers...

I'd say the latter -- or neither. The book I was referring to was not a new release, and had been printed in the past with my custom barcode (so it should not have undergone any sort of review). Further, the book was also being printed by Lightning Source, and all the layers in the CreateSpace design file (including the barcode) came from the Lightning Source design file (with a size adjustment to the background art, of course). So I don't believe there were any issues with the cover file or barcode.

Level 3 351 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
14. Jul 17, 2017 3:28 PM in response to: R.C.

It could also depend on the definition of "most recent."  I noticed the change middle to late May.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...