Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
276 Views 12 Replies Last post: Aug 13, 2017 5:27 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Feb 28, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 10, 2017 10:19 AM

Hidden Page Numbers

In Microsoft Word, how do I ensure that page numbers show on top of background images I have included in the book?  I have properly formatted the images to print behind the text, but for some reason, the page numbers inserted into the footers are not reacting the same way as the body text -  they are hidden underneath the photos. How do I force the footer to appear on top of the image?

Level 5 5,933 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
1. Aug 10, 2017 10:53 AM in response to: TomGiske
Re: Hidden Page Numbers

Either place the image in the header or footer, word layers all page data over the header or footer

1. Insert your [Page] field and other text in the header or footer.

2. Insert the PIC in the header or footer.

3. Format the PIC LAYOUT - Behind Text - and place it where it needs to be.

Level 5 12,552 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Aug 10, 2017 10:56 AM in response to: TomGiske

Headers/footers are in a different "story" of the Word document than body text (as are graphics, footnotes, comments, text box content, etc.). Within each story of the document are "layers."

If you need an image to be behind header or footer content, then you have to insert the image in the document story holding the header/footer (not the story holding the body text) and move it to the back layer of that story (behind the layer containing the page number).

Aug 22, 2008
5. Aug 10, 2017 12:56 PM in response to: TomGiske

Yes, it will work with full-page images. Body text is on a higher story, so anything in a lower story (like the footer) will appear behind that when flattened on screen or printed to PDF.

Exactly how you open/edit the header/footer region depends on the version of Word. But if you inserted page numbers already, I assume you know how to do that -- so do that, place the cursor in the document footer and use the insert picture command, same as if were being inserted in the body text story.

If your footer is formatted to repeat on subsequent pages, then so will the background image inserted there. If that's not what you want (i.e., if you need different background images on each page), then you will have to use section breaks and unlink each new page footer from the previous one so you can insert a different image.

Level 5 5,933 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
7. Aug 12, 2017 7:38 AM in response to: TomGiske

Unfortunately Word is limited in this regard and adding section breaks and unlinking headers/footers is your only option in that software.  You could add manual pagination to the PDF via software such as Photoshop but it would need to be done on a  page by page basis and then compiled to a single PDF so it wont save you any time.

Another option is to look to a different software for your layout, InDesign would likely be best but the cost is high and the learning curve difficult. Open Office would likely do the job simalar to Word and I don't believe it has the same layering issues with the header and footer.

Aug 22, 2008
8. Aug 12, 2017 7:43 AM in response to: TomGiske

TomGiske wrote:

...there must be a simpler way.  I have a different photo on every page for 350 pages!

PS: I use Microsoft Word on iMac.

Sure, there's a simpler way. Use software that's intended for book page layout, rather than using a word processing program. Scribus is open source (free), PagePlus is inexpensive, InDesign is the standard (but very costly and has a steep learning curve), QuarkExpress is similarly powerful with much more reasonable pricing and licensing terms...

If you're using Word, then no, not to my knowledge. Its hierarchy of document stories and layers function the way I explained previously. I don't know how to hack or modify that, and given Word's instability with large/long documents, I wouldn't even try. Seriously, I'd get the right software for the job.

Edit: I see R.C. posted a similar suggestion while I was writing this.

Level 5 18,686 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
9. Aug 12, 2017 8:15 AM in response to: TomGiske

One possibility for your problems is that Word is something of a jester . . . it like to mess with us.  If you've been struggling for a while, trying this and that with the same file, you are ripe for a good prank.  Always practice on a file you don't care about.  For files you do care about, always save them, and make a copy to work on.  I do this at least once a day, perhaps several times, depending on the complexity of the work.

In Word, at least on a PC, you can do what you want.  But, again, maybe it's too late for that file.  If you are determined to use Word, create a new file, add a few images, see if you can't get the page number on top of the image.

My immediate reaction to your question, one which several others suggested: get a desktop publishing program.  Scribus is free.  PagePlus is no longer supported by Serif, and they are making the most recent version available for around $30.  I agree that InDesign has a steep price only matched by a steep learning curve, but they all have a relatively steep learning curve.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Aug 22, 2008
10. Aug 13, 2017 10:16 AM in response to: walton

walton wrote:

PagePlus is no longer supported by Serif, and they are making the most recent version available for around $30.

Serif states that they are working to integrate these DTP functions into the Affinity suite. In the case of the Serif DrawPlus and PhotoPlus products we had installed, we received free upgrades to the new Affinity versions. I mention that because PagePlus is well worth $24.99 (current price for X9) regardless, but getting it now could also result in a free or discounted upgrade to the Affinity Publisher product when that's released.

Regarding the PagePlus product not being supported any longer, for what it's worth, we've been using Serif products on some of our workstations since version X3. I don't recall any support issues, not even so much as a license key or installation glitch (I sure can't say that about our Adobe products!). And unlike a lot of software producers these days, Serif actually publishes comprehensive user guides in print format.

Level 5 18,686 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
11. Aug 13, 2017 10:44 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

I agree with you about Serif products, I've been using some of them on and off since around 2004.

Walton

Level 5 3,862 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
12. Aug 13, 2017 5:27 PM in response to: Lighthouse24

Thanks for mentioning Affinity. I remember it being discussed when it was still in utero some time back. Now it is released it looks like good value for money. It might even cure me of my 30-year addiction to Corel.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...