Skip navigation
383 Views 8 Replies Last post: Aug 13, 2017 4:29 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 0 10 posts since
Sep 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 12, 2017 11:11 PM

My cover looks dull and lifeless

I submitted my cover as a .pdf, and the proof looks dull and lifeless. The vibrant cherry color is dead. I don't get it. I submitted my first cover with CS years ago, using the free program Picasa, and all the colors were true. This time, I hired someone to use Photoshop, and it's way off. What can I do?

I made a web page showing the source file and the CS proof: http://www.ukrainiansoulfood.ca/Cover-page.php

Level 5 4,976 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Aug 12, 2017 11:24 PM in response to: TreasureMe
Re: My cover looks dull and lifeless

My first guess would be that your designer was working in the RGB color space, which is the color spectrum emitted by your computer monitor. Print uses the CMYK spectrum, which is the combination of four different color inks to produce all the colors printed onto paper. Not all RGB colors are available in the CMYK spectrum. If you use a color that's not (out of gamut), the conversion to CMYK will substitute a valid color.

I'd have your designer change to CMYK, make sure the color is not out of gamut, and then print a copy at a copy shop that uses a CMYK printer (a desktop printer isn't really a good gauge) to see if it's better than your proof. If it is, upload that new file.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 3,919 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
2. Aug 13, 2017 6:46 AM in response to: TreasureMe

Alternatively, see if the designer will deign to create RGB output. CreateSpace is very good at processing RGB artwork even though technically this is not the way to prepare for printed matter.

Level 5 18,803 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Aug 13, 2017 11:07 AM in response to: TreasureMe

Actually, if the original is accurate in your link, it has very little out-of-gamut color.  So it should print well.  Is it in register (think of comic books with the colors out of registration)?  A thousandth of an inch or so could shift the colors.  Put a glass on it.

It doesn't snap compared to the original art, but it looks fine if all I see is it.

Walton

Level 5 3,919 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
8. Aug 13, 2017 4:29 PM in response to: TreasureMe

TreasureMe wrote:

Maaku, I'm not sure what you mean by "alternatively." Are there different types of RGB? Is there a specific setting he should use?

I assumed the design you were not happy with had been in CMYK form.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...