Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
281 Views 11 Replies Last post: Aug 13, 2017 4:39 PM by R.C. RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Sep 4, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 11, 2017 9:39 PM

Barcode and price

I understand that the barcode will automatically be added to my cover, but how does the price get included? 

Level 4 2,031 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Aug 11, 2017 10:48 PM in response to: RainyDay77
Re: Barcode and price

It doesn't. A smaller bar code of 90000, which indicates no price, is added to the right of the ISBN bar code.

Level 5 18,686 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Aug 12, 2017 10:15 AM in response to: RainyDay77

Here is how:

Please know that we automatically add barcodes to your book cover during the file review process after you upload and submit your files within your account.  Our system will place the ISBN barcode in a space 2" wide and 1.2" tall. The bottom of this barcode is located 1/4" up from the bottom trim line of the cover. The right side of the barcode is located 1/4" to the left of the spine.

If you wish to include a price embedded barcode on your book cover you will need to generate the barcode specified as per our submission requirement and place it on the cover artwork before submission. We will then print your Cover with the replkaced barcode and with the price information as well.

While designing your book cover, please adjust the back cover so that no images or text that is intended to be viewable are placed in this location and allow a space 2" wide and 1.2" tall for the barcode placement.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated   CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page,   fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages    Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 3,561 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
3. Aug 12, 2017 11:18 AM in response to: walton

But, as R.C. reported a while ago, CS is now replacing ALL of our own barcodes with their own, so it sounds to me like it will be impossible to include a priced barcode.

Dan'l

Sep 5, 2009
4. Aug 12, 2017 11:24 AM in response to: danwiz

I asked CS about the barcodes, and that is CS's reply.  It is dated July 21, 2017.

One of my questions was that if, in fact, CS replaces all ISBN barcodes regardless of whether they are correct or not, then how do we include the price barcode. That is their answer . . . yes we can include the price barcode, CS will apparently extract it and add it to their barcode, or it will be masked off when CS applies their barcode.

Walton

Level 5 5,933 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
5. Aug 12, 2017 8:04 PM in response to: walton

After weeks and multiple levels of inquiry I was told there was no option for a price barcode. All barcodes would be replaced with their standard barcode with a 90000 price code and if we wanted a price listed it could be as text element on the cover.

Level 5 12,552 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
6. Aug 13, 2017 9:45 AM in response to: R.C.

I was told the same thing, and as I've posted in a couple of other threads, this has happened in our books and those of our clients. We can go to digital proofer for those books and see that the barcodes we originally included with the cover PDF files have been replaced in every instance -- in some cases on books that were being printed with our barcodes for the past eight years.

Sep 5, 2009
7. Aug 13, 2017 10:25 AM in response to: R.C.

And, I was told there is an option, as quoted above. The person who wrote that is Berula, CreateSpace Member Services.

So there are two basic opinions.  What happens if you were to quote this:

Sent on Jul 21 2017

Hello Walton,  Greetings from CreateSpace.

Please know that we automatically add barcodes to your book cover during the file review process after you upload and submit your files within your account.  Our system will place the ISBN barcode in a space 2" wide and 1.2" tall. The bottom of this barcode is located 1/4" up from the bottom trim line of the cover. The right side of the barcode is located 1/4" to the left of the spine.

If you wish to include a price embedded barcode on your book cover you will need to generate the barcode specified as per our submission requirement and place it on the cover artwork before submission. We will then print your Cover with the replkaced barcode and with the price information as well.  [emphasis added]

While designing your book cover, please adjust the back cover so that no images or text that is intended to be viewable are placed in this location and allow a space 2" wide and 1.2" tall for the barcode placement.  Walton, I hope this information was helpful.  We appreciate your support and understanding in this regard. . . .

Best regards,  Berula

CreateSpace Member Services

Your original message:

Re: ISBN Barcode

Your latest(05.19.17) "PDF Submission Specifications" guide says (page 63):  . . . we will automatically add a high resolution and appropriately-sized barcode . . . We do not add or embed a price in the bar codes . . .

1) Does this mean that a good, high resolution barcode placed correctly on a cover PDF prior to being uploaded will be automatically replaced?

2)If it is automatically replaced, but the CS added barcode does not include a price barcode, how do we include the price barcode if we need it?

Walton

Aug 22, 2008
8. Aug 13, 2017 10:32 AM in response to: walton

Trouble is, that's not what they're actually doing...

Sep 5, 2009
9. Aug 13, 2017 10:45 AM in response to: Lighthouse24

Next book I do for me, I'll give it a try and quote their insructions.  We'll see.

Walton

Aug 22, 2008
10. Aug 13, 2017 11:13 AM in response to: walton

Terrific. I didn't know about the policy change or that replacements had happened until reffort mentioned it in another thread. I was prepared to disagree him and cite the same instructions you did regarding submitting our own barcodes. Then I checked our two most recent book orders so I could provide firsthand up-to-date evidence, and was surprised to discover that our barcodes (all to spec) had been replaced with a CreateSpace barcode. When I contacted CreateSpace, I received the same answer R.C. did -- that they are going to apply their own barcode regardless.

Level 5 5,933 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
11. Aug 13, 2017 4:39 PM in response to: walton

Walton, I'm not sure who the member that wrote the letter was but I spoke to a teir 3 CS service rep who informed me there was noone above them I could speak to and confirmed that CS will not implement any price code. Please let us know if you run a test as I would like to know for certain if there is an option.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...