Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
5,040 Views 2 Replies Last post: Jan 11, 2010 1:50 PM by lipmag RSS
Level 1 107 posts since
Oct 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 11, 2010 7:52 AM

Max number of author copies that can be ordered?

Simple question

What's the biggest order you've placed?

Bearing in mind author copies are such good value, is it possible just to treat CS as a simple POD publisher and distribute copies of your book yourself?

Level 5 2,821 posts since
May 5, 2009
1. Jan 11, 2010 8:00 AM in response to: johnny8
Re: Max number of author copies that can be ordered?

It is possible to go one better than this and 'drop ship'. This means you place the order with CS, as though your are ordering the books for yourself, and give the delivery address as your customer. This way you never need to have stock.  I believe CS can handle orders of 5000 copies at a time (I think although I may be wrong that 5000 would take two weeks to fulfill).

Alternatively you can hold your own stock to sell direct or list on amazom/ebay as 'signed' copies.

Level 5 11,782 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Jan 11, 2010 1:50 PM in response to: johnny8
Re: Max number of author copies that can be ordered?

Bearing in mind author copies are such good value, is it possible just to treat CS as a simple POD publisher and distribute copies of your book yourself?

I do this - it means I take a much bigger profit, don't have tax withheld, can perform QC so that only good quality copies are shipped to customers, I have access to customer data with which to build a mailing list for future marketing, and I can offer much cheaper shipping options than CS does.

My largest order so far has been 100 copies at a time.

CS may be able to handle orders up to 5000, but seriously, if you're ordering that many, you'd get much better value using an offset printer. Even for an order of 500, offset printing may be cheaper per unit than CS.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...