Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
237 Views 4 Replies Last post: Sep 13, 2017 7:50 AM by TS1234 RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Jun 28, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 11, 2017 8:43 AM

Cover Blurry - The Palm

Hello everyone, I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help. I ordered a proof of my book and the interior is fine, however the front and back cover is blurry. I used The Palm template (8.5 x 11). These are the steps I took to create it: I created the cover page in Word (using text and inserting two images into the Word doc). I made the document a custom size of 8.75 x 11.5 (as instructed in The Palm). When the cover was complete in Word, I saved it as jpeg using the snipping tool. Then I opened it in Irfanview and went to the image menu, resize, to 300 dpi resolution. I saved it as jpeg, and when I uploaded it to createspace, it met specifications - it didn't give me any error messages. But when the proof came, it was blurry. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time and help!

Level 5 5,992 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
1. Sep 11, 2017 9:41 AM in response to: TS1234
Re: Cover Blurry - The Palm

If you had to resize the jpg to 300ppi then I assume it was originally saved at a lower resolution. By resizing you would have resampled the images to increase resolution which would cause the blur you mentioned.

You need to ensure you start with high resolution images and create the final cover images at 300ppi without resampling. I would suggest skipping Word completely and creating the images with a graphic software to ensure your workflow is clean.

Level 5 12,629 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
2. Sep 11, 2017 9:52 AM in response to: TS1234
Re: Cover Blurry - The Palm

In this context, 300 dpi means 300 pixels per inch of height and width at the size the image will print. So an 8.75x11.5-inch image would need to be 2625x3450 pixels. IrfanView has very good resampling algorithms (especially for a free product), but there is a limit to what it can do if your source image had considerably fewer pixels to begin with. If it has to "invent" too many new pixels that didn't exist in the original in order to get to 300 ppi, then it can still become blocky or blurry in print.

Applying too much compression when saving in IrfanView can also have this effect. Make sure you're saving at highest quality (no compression).

In addition, Word may be compressing and downsampling the image. As suggested above, I would take that step out of your workflow entirely if possible.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...