This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
212 Views 4 Replies Last post: Sep 13, 2017 9:38 AM by MandyE RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Jul 25, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 12, 2017 8:17 PM

Non Blocking Issues

Hello, I have submitted a PDF twice which keeps coming back with the message below and I can't find out what the issue is.

I have checked the images are all 300 dpi and it passed the initial interior check several times.

The interior contains images that are less than 200 DPI; these may appear blurry or pixelated when printed.

I have sent support several emails and been told to order the book or download a proof. I live in South Africa and it takes ages for delivery from Amazon so I want to know if I download the proof will this show me the exact qulaity of the printed book?
Thank you 

Level 5 12,629 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Sep 13, 2017 8:33 AM in response to: MandyE
Re: Non Blocking Issues

MandyE wrote:

I want to know if I download the proof will this show me the exact qulaity of the printed book?

Well, yes and no. The downloaded digital proof will include images at the same resolution they were in the file you uploaded, but you'll be viewing them on a computer screen which most likely has a resolution of 72 or 96 dpi. So as long as the images have a resolution at least that high, they will look good. If you print the digital proof, it will be your PDF viewer's rendering that is sent to the print driver for processing and output (which is not the same way a press will process the PDF for book printing). So again, it may not be an accurate indication of how the images will look in the actual book.

Also keep in mind that if you used any effects around your images (frames, outlines, drop shadows, etc.), it may be these effects, rather than the images themselves, that are being flagged as low resolution (especially if you're certain the images are 300 dpi). In most cases, a drop shadow (for example) that was lower resolution wouldn't make any visible difference in print quality at all. But then, to (unfortunately) complicate things further, if the effect relies on transparency blending, then your PDF creator may have done that at a lower resolution.

Given the cost and time involved with shipping a proof copy to you, one option to consider might be asking a service provider in this community to preflight your PDF, identify exactly what the issues are, and describe their potential impact in the printed book (i.e., tell you if there's a real problem or not). Cost would likely be under $10 (some might even do it for free).

Level 5 12,629 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Sep 13, 2017 9:26 AM in response to: MandyE
Re: Non Blocking Issues

Check your private messages (under Your Stuff in the menu at the top). Anyone who may be interested in assisting will contact you there.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...