Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

243 Views 5 Replies Last post: Sep 13, 2017 1:09 PM by Oreohelix RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Sep 19, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 12, 2017 2:20 PM

Price discrepency for amazon.ca

My book is on sale on Amazon.com for $12.99 USD. I checked Amazon.ca today and the price for the paperback is $74.99!

I know the CAD isn't doing as well as the USD but jeez.

I've read it usually takes a while for books to appear in the .ca store after you've put them on the .com store. Will this fix itself eventually, or is there a horrible mistake, or something else I can do to change the price? Can't find any obvious options on either amazon's or createspace's websites.

Thanks

Level 4 2,379 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
1. Sep 12, 2017 4:45 PM in response to: FPZed
Re: Price discrepency for amazon.ca

Hi FPZ,

It's probably a third-party seller.  Just ignore it.

Stacy

Level 2 266 posts since
Feb 11, 2016
2. Sep 12, 2017 9:11 PM in response to: FPZed

If you very recently published your book via CreateSpace, say less than two weeks ago but possibly up to 30 days, your Amazon.CA listing may not yet show Amazon.CA as the seller.  When Amazon.CA is the seller, the price should be roughly equal to the Canadian equivalent of the USD price you set in CreateSpace plus the current exchange rate.  I believe that Amazon.CA will periodically adjust the exchange rate to reflect the actual exchange rate but I don't know how often this happens.

The $74.99 sale price is very likely the price offered by a third party seller who is selling on Amazon.CA.  You cannot tell third party sellers what to sell your book for.  They can set whatever price they want.

Level 5 5,992 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
4. Sep 13, 2017 7:12 AM in response to: FPZed

This is pretty much exactly how they work. If they receive an order at the inflated price they will order the book themselves and dropship (ship directly) to their buyer. Occasionally you will see some sellers that sell below your cost and they do so in order to build an email list from the sales which they may fullfil or merely cancel and return funds. Every published book eventually (usually within a day or two) gets a number of 3rd party seller listings but in my experience very few people order through them unless there is no alternative.

Level 4 2,379 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
5. Sep 13, 2017 1:09 PM in response to: FPZed

And FYI, it's not just your book.  They list the entire POD catalog of 80 bazillion books.

Sometimes they just do this to generate backlinks for some SEO scheme.  It's an odd business model, but it doesn't concern me now that I know what it is.

Stacy

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...