Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
735 Views 8 Replies Last post: Sep 13, 2017 10:24 PM by Saikarp RSS
Level 0 24 posts since
Sep 2, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 10, 2017 10:24 PM

trouble with editor, need help/advice

Due to various circumstances, my editor keeps ignoring me when I ask for a progress report. She's kept me waiting for almost a year and I paid her half of her fee already. I don't mind waiting but I don't understand why she is being this way. Please help.

Level 4 2,316 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Sep 10, 2017 10:43 PM in response to: Saikarp
Re: trouble with editor, need help/advice

Saikarp wrote:

Due to various circumstances, my editor keeps ignoring me when I ask for a progress report. She's kept me waiting for almost a year and I paid her half of her fee already. I don't mind waiting but I don't understand why she is being this way. Please help.

If you're referring to CreateSpace's editing service, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to contact support. Perhaps they could help you.

If you're using an independent editor, the only help we could offer is prayer.

Level 5 5,149 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
2. Sep 10, 2017 11:12 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

It certainly wouldn't be a CS contracted editor as CS does not allow any direct contact between their clients and their contractors. I doubt the author would even know the name of the contractor editing their manuscript.

To the OP: do you have a contract in place with this editor? If so, it should have terms related to the timeframe for completion and cancelling the contract.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 4,054 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
3. Sep 11, 2017 6:01 AM in response to: Saikarp

This sounds completely unprofessional. If I were in your shoes I would tell her you've waited long enough, ask her to provide whatever work she has already done, call it quits, and have nothing more to do with her.

I give my clients daily reports, if they want them (they usually cannot be bothered).

Level 5 12,716 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
4. Sep 11, 2017 2:54 PM in response to: Saikarp

Unfortunately, this happens more than you might imagine. A lot of people who enjoy reading, and probably do have the basic skills required for at least mechanical editing, will advertise and promote themselves as freelance editors -- thinking it is a great way to pick up some extra cash. Then, once they get actual jobs and receive the typical kinds of unedited manuscripts that come from self-publishing authors, they discover that good editing (and good interaction with clients) involves a lot more work and self-discipline than they anticipated, and they soon decide they don't really want to be editors after all.

Professional editors with good references and a track record of experience are expensive and have waiting lists for their services. So it's understandable when a self-publisher takes a chance on a freelance editor without a track record. It may work out. But very often it doesn't.

In this case, if you paid a deposit up-front, there was hopefully some kind of contractual agreement identifying deliverables and dates. If those have been breached and your subsequent inquiries are being ignored, ask for your money back (and if you don't get a response, pursue it through whatever payment method you used). There's really no other option in my view (certainly no benefit in trying to make this person finish the job at this point).

Level 5 12,716 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
6. Sep 12, 2017 7:37 AM in response to: Saikarp

Saikarp wrote:

Can I pursue legal action even though she lives in another state?

In most cases like this, no, not easily. It depends on what your contract specified regarding disputes. And even if you could pursue legal action, it would cost you time and money, and the only remedies would be (a) forcing her to finish a job she doesn't want to do (which gets you nothing), or (b) recovering your deposit payment (which as I suggested above, you can more easily pursue through the payment method you used -- unless you paid with cash or check).

Is the person still advertising her services and working as an editor? If so, then there are additional paths through which you could file a complaint. The complaint process might force a response -- or if nothing else, put some black marks on those positive references you checked and perhaps prevent others from having the same issues you're experiencing.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...