Skip navigation
277 Views 5 Replies Last post: Oct 11, 2017 2:47 AM by Djoudi RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Sep 27, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 7, 2017 6:41 AM

Just to be sure :)

Hi everyone, i'm new here, so i have to ask you one question.

I just want to print one or two copies of my book (which is not finished yet) to test it and read it like a classic book. So i've created an account here to use print-on-demand Amazon service. Am i doing correctly ? (sorry for my poor english, i'm french^^)

I'm doing that because here in France, to print only one copy of a book costs nearly 70€. So that is much cheaper to do it with Amazon.

Thanks for your answers :)

Djoudi.

Level 5 18,909 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Oct 7, 2017 8:51 AM in response to: Djoudi
Re: Just to be sure :)

I often recommend to my clients that they do eactly what you are asking about.  It often costs more to print out a mansuscript than to have CS print it.  It does not have to be formatted in book form, although the inside margins might be a problem (although if you accept Word's default margins, you would be okay).

You could print a dozen test books, no upload fee, copies at cost, use a free (ISBN), you don't have to change the title, although I usually do just to avoid confusion down the road.

Also, reading from paper is better (better comprehension) than off a monitor, and I think printed and bound books read better than loose sheets of paper.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 3,668 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
3. Oct 9, 2017 9:43 AM in response to: Djoudi

After the review, you have the option to order up to 5 proof copies (which will be stamped with a very large "PROOF COPY" on the final page of the book.  You do not ever need to approve the book for sale anywhere if you just want a few copies.  If you want copies without the PROOF COPY stamp, then you'll need to approve the book, but you need not enable any channels of distribution, you can just order author copies from your dashboard.

Dan'l

Level 4 1,571 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
4. Oct 10, 2017 4:32 PM in response to: Djoudi

Hi Djoudi,

Just to elaborate a little on the answers you've already been given, many people do exactly what you're asking. Using CreateSpace (and I mean CreateSpace, not Amazon), you don't have to make your book available for other people to buy if you don't want to, or aren't ready to. You can simply buy "member copies" for yourself if that's what you want. Your book won't appear on amazon.com.

More information on this is available here:

https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/#content7

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...