Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

1 "helpful" answer available (5 pts)
472 Views 8 Replies Last post: Oct 8, 2017 12:46 PM by Unruly_Pigeon RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Aug 28, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 7, 2017 7:08 AM

What is the best way to transact book sales on my own website?

Hello gurus! I am just starting out and I am looking to reclaim the costs of production of my new book as quickly as possible. Several posters have recommended that the highest margin for book sales will be if I sell the books myself on my own website. However, I don't have a store yet. What is the best way to create a store, or way to sell books from my own website? I did create a Paypal account, and noted that they take 2.9% + 30c per transaction; on a book sale that is a significant percentage of the net profit after printing and shipping costs (to me). Thoughts??

Level 5 3,670 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Oct 7, 2017 8:11 AM in response to: Unruly_Pigeon
Re: What is the best way to transact book sales on my own website?

The very best way is the way which reduces the time you have to spend, right?  That means that you give people a link to Amazon, which is people's preferred place to buy books anyway.  Look at the percentage of people who are Prime members - you know those folks do not have to pay postage, right?  Can you price your book low enough on your website to neutralize that cost?  I think not.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Dan'l

Level 5 12,665 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. Oct 7, 2017 1:31 PM in response to: Unruly_Pigeon

I'm one of those members who advocates selling books yourself (in order to maximize profit) whenever possible.

If you're operating as a new small business with no credit history, or if you're an individual, I think it's unlikely that you'll find a better deal than PayPal (which really isn't that bad), nor a payment processor that's easier to implement and integrate with your website.

To offer an example, we have a book that sells for $17.95. If I sell it, PayPay gets 82 cents, we get $12.42. If Amazon sells it, Amazon gets $7.18, we get $5.24. It's not enrolled in the EDC, but if it were, the EDC partners would get $10.77, and we'd get $1.65.

If you consistently sell a huge volume of books, then with that sales history and the guarantee of a minimum transaction volume each month, you might be able to negotiate a lower rate with someone else eventually. But to start with? I don't think so.

Level 5 15,272 posts since
May 4, 2008
4. Oct 7, 2017 4:45 PM in response to: Unruly_Pigeon

Paypal, Square and Stripe all have roughly the same commission structure per transaction, but they are much cheaper than getting a payment processing option through a regular bank, who have monthly/annual fees as well as transation fees.

You'll also need an e-commerce/shopping cart solution on your website that can calculate shipping and taxes for you. I like Ecwid.com for its simplicity and integration with my Wordpress website, but there are dozens, maybe hundred of options to choose from.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 5 3,670 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
7. Oct 8, 2017 10:07 AM in response to: Unruly_Pigeon

Thank you for bringing this question up!  I spoke negatively of it in my first post, but after reading Michelle's and Lighthouse's responses to you, well, now I am thinking of doing it myself too!  So, thanks again, the responses gave me an education.

Dan'l

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...