Skip navigation

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

243 Views 6 Replies Last post: Oct 7, 2017 2:01 PM by Nicky1951 RSS
Level 0 18 posts since
Apr 18, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 7, 2017 8:18 AM

Interior File Formatting and DPIs

First of all, thanks for such quick replies.

There is an ongoing issue now with the same upload:  I increase the dpis on a graphic up to or above 300.  Once I get them uploaded, some are recognized as 300 and up, others are not. Those I couldn't modify for a third time, I deleted.  However, all that were accepted, were not accepted on a subsequent upload where something else had been fixed.  Could this be a quirk in the system?  In the last uploads, all graphics were 300 dpi or higher. On next upload they're not. The only modifications to the last upload were hyperlinks that had been included in the bibliograhic notes. I'm hoping this is a glitch with Interior Review.  I did notice, that as time when by and as I re-reviewed other issues in the current uploaded version, that some of the 'tags' for low dpi's just disappeared!  Maybe if I wait long enough, the rest will, too?!

Once again, thanks for any info.

Level 5 18,913 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Oct 7, 2017 8:44 AM in response to: Nicky1951
Re: Interior File Formatting and DPIs

If you are building your book in Word, then that's the first place to start looking.

• Most versions of Word want to "compress" images.  Word does not compress images, it downsizes them, e.g. 300 dpi > 96 dpi.  You must disable this feature.  For example, in Word 2010: File > Options > Advanced > Image size and quality > Do not compress images in this document.
    • If you have already inserted images into this file, without disabling image compression, you will have to insert them again.
      • Do not resize images (small tweaks are probably okay) inside Word.  Adjusting the size will inversely alter the image resolution (see Resolution).
      • Insert, images, do not drag and drop or copy and paste.
  • If you used Word's Save as PDF, it will downsize images to 200 dpi. 
    • Use a PDF conversion program: Acrobat ($$$), or free, such as primoPDF, doPDF, cutePDF, PDF995, OpenOffice, etc.
      • Other than OO (open the Word file in OO, then export to PDF), you will need to set the output/trim/paper size or it will default to 8.5 x 11.

If you are not using Word, you'll have to tell us what program(s) you are using.

Always upload a PDF.  Do not upload a Word file.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
3. Oct 7, 2017 9:05 AM in response to: Nicky1951

I should add . . .

If you've got line art . . . black and white, no gray, 1-bit . . . then a higher resolution between 600-800 dpi is required, or you'll have jaggies.

I know that re-inserting the images is a pain, but such is Word!

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
5. Oct 7, 2017 1:05 PM in response to: Nicky1951

I think you'd find OO a better choice over Word.  But if you're thinking of changing, look into a desktop publishing program.  Indesign is the "gold standard" but it is $$$.  Free: Scribus (no spell check), and Serif's PagePlus (about $30, but it is no longer supported).  These have fairly steep learning curves, but if you use them instead of Word, for wirting stuff, you'll get used to them with less pain. These programs offer much more control over the entire process.  Some might argue, more control than we need, but that beats the heck out of going through what you've gone through with Word.

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...