Skip navigation
557 Views 8 Replies Last post: Oct 7, 2017 9:16 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 10 posts since
Aug 15, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 7, 2017 8:16 AM

Cover Help - Can anyone solve the riddle?

I've uploaded a test copy to Amazon, and for some reason, there's a black line down it on the left hand side. Does anyone know how to fix this? (Note - the spine is black, so is the spine overspilling to the image?) When I have ordered a copy, the cover is completely red with no black overspill. Can someone explain this problem?

(I put this up the other day but forgot to put up the link. Here it is - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1548213861/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502118920&sr=8-1&keywords=uni+lifehacks)

Thank you!

Level 5 5,059 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Aug 7, 2017 10:57 AM in response to: GeorgeMac
Re: Cover Help - Can anyone solve the riddle?

GeorgeMac wrote:

...the spine is black, so is the spine overspilling to the image?

Most likely. This is why most of us recommend that you make the cover one solid color or image, with no hard vertical lines, such as you apparently have. If you make the spine the same color as the front and back covers, the problem will disappear.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 2 170 posts since
Sep 15, 2015
2. Aug 7, 2017 4:18 PM in response to: GeorgeMac

I was just reading this article http://www.jdandj.com/blog/-getting-the-layout-of-your-book-cover-right

" It is worth noting that for some of these templates a little experience is very handy too, for example, with Createspace we’ve found that moving their margins a little further from the spine ensures that content doesn’t ride up over the binding mark."

I always use cover creator but I guess it might help to change the margins.

Level 3 372 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
3. Aug 7, 2017 5:08 PM in response to: GeorgeMac

Does it look like that in the Digital Proofer?  (Both the rotating 3D image and the flat version; the Look Inside does not show the problem.)

If not, it is probably just a problem with the process that makes the thumbnail image.  The line should also be visible in the thumbnail image for that project.

But if the Proofer shows the problem, there is an error with the cover somewhere.

I'll echo the previous advice, too, because with print-on-demand paperbacks the manufacturing tolerances are not tight enough to have a spine that is a different color.

Level 5 18,913 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
6. Aug 8, 2017 12:33 PM in response to: GeorgeMac

Go here . . .https://forums.createspace.com/en/community/message/446443#446443 . . . I answered this earlier.

Walton

Level 0 1 posts since
Sep 8, 2016
7. Oct 6, 2017 2:12 PM in response to: GeorgeMac

Were you ever able to get it fixed (I'm having the same problem with the black line down the side)? Also, how did you upload a test copy to amazon like that?

Level 5 18,913 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
8. Oct 7, 2017 9:16 AM in response to: BryanSmith

First, you should repost your question . . . this was buried on page 10 of the forum (spam, spam, spam), or post it on selfpublishingforum, link below.

Second, to address the problem: my link was to several examples of misregistration and trapping.  If you have an unexpected line in your PDF art, it could be a stitching line:

This will usually disappear when printed or when enlarged, as the example above shows.  Stitching lines can be white or black.  Flattening the art and text to a JPG will remove the stitching lines as well.

Sometimes the lines are artifacts of building multi-layer art, extractions, etc.  These general have to be painted, erased, or cloned out.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...