Skip navigation

This Question is Not Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
272 Views 5 Replies Last post: Oct 7, 2017 9:58 AM by awin RSS
Level 1 24 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2017 1:43 PM

Spine meets specs but CS keeps shrinking it

Hello, everyone.

I've calculated my spine width at 148 pages (including front matter) times .002252 for white paper equals .333296 inch.  Subtract .0625 twice and that leaves me with .208296 for spine text.  I keep submitting a pdf with .2 inch spine text and keep getting a message that my pdf was "fixed" by reducing the spine and "re-centering it" (it already was centered..)

Now, I may go to cream paper just to get a thicker spine, but even as things stand the spine should not be reduced.

I've already had to send out proofs to reviewers with a junky-looking spine (reduced to .1 inch and .14 inch by CS) and of course there is no way to see what CS has done until I pay for proofs to be shipped.

I do know that I am submitting within the size limit.

Is there any way to note that the spine should not be reduced when submitting it?  Or do I just keep resubmitting and hope that a different reviewer will realize that the spine is okay?

Having my spine "fixed" feels as bad as it must have felt when my tomcat got "fixed."

Level 3 372 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
1. Oct 4, 2017 2:53 PM in response to: awin
Re: Spine meets specs but CS keeps shrinking it

It would be helpful if you posted a copy of your cover and book specs.  From your description, it sounds like the cover itself is the wrong size, so there is really no way to tell what is happening without any visuals.

of course there is no way to see what CS has done until I pay for proofs to be shipped.

You are obviously not taking advantage of the Digital Proofer.  The time to catch and fix major problems is before ordering a printed proof.

Level 5 15,272 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Oct 4, 2017 3:59 PM in response to: awin

I recommend using the free cover templates you can generate at www.Bookow.com -- this will ensure the most precise dimensions for your book.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 4 1,571 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
3. Oct 4, 2017 4:55 PM in response to: lipmag

lipmag wrote:

I recommend using the free cover templates you can generate at www.Bookow.com

I'm going to have to agree with Michelle on this one.

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Level 5 18,913 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
4. Oct 6, 2017 10:35 AM in response to: awin

In creating your cover, and I second, well, third, the suggestion of getting a cover template from Bookow, make sure that there is nothing that needs changing, and . . . this is my bias . . . no way to change it easily: flattened the cover art.  Not in the sense that PDF/X-1a flattens the art, because you can still edit files with editable text, but like rasterizing it and saving as a JPG.

Use the template to construct and double check your cover . . . save as a multi-layer file and flatten a copy by converting to JPG.

Some covers are problematic regarding the reviewers, if, for example, a cover has lots of white space around part of it so that a first glance it might look off center.  Creating the PDF so that CS cannot "fix" things is often a must.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...