1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
822 Views 4 Replies Last post: Oct 10, 2017 6:16 PM by Nunciata RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Mar 28, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 9, 2017 9:14 PM

In the process of editing book

Hi everyone

I have completed writing my book and am now in the process of going through and editing it.   Can I transfer the edited script to written page form before I am done editing the entire book or must I do that all at once when I am finished?

From what I can see, nothing is done until I hit "submit", is that right

First-timer...thanks!

Level 5 5,646 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Oct 9, 2017 11:38 PM in response to: Nunciata
Re: In the process of editing book

You can upload your interior whenever you want (as one file). But CS prints exactly what you upload. So ideally you should wait until your interior is completely finalized and fully formatted before uploading.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 19,560 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Oct 10, 2017 11:01 AM in response to: Nunciata
Re: In the process of editing book

Studies show that we read better, with better comprehension, from paper than the monitor.  I find that most of us read better still from printed, bound, and trimmed books, than loose sheets of paper.

You can probably take your file with Word's default margins, create a book project, and upload that.  8.5 x 11, free ISBN, throw away title (you can have projects with the same title, it's just easier for you if you change them), quick simple white cover with text, etc.  In a week you'll have bound copies of your book . . . perfect for handing out to friends and relatives (often euphemistically called beta readers). This may or may not be the right time for this in your editing process, but it's worth knowing about.  Unless and until you approve the proof and enable distribution, that book is invisible to the world.  You can revise a book a million times (life expectancy, available time, patience, etc. aside), so this can be a helpful step.  In fact you might want to do it for yourself, just to have a book in hand and to familiarize yourself with the process.

Also . . .

• Read the book out loud to someone.  Your tongue will catch all sorts of things.  Occasionally glance at your hapless listener.  Glazed eyes is symptomatic of all sorts of things.
  • Listen to your book being read.  Word and Reader have good text to speech features, and there are quite a few free text to speech programs you can download.  Your ear will catch things your eye misses.  Read along.
  • Spell check . . . if you start at the beginning and either correct every red squiggle or, if correct, enter it in your dictionary, you should end up with a document having no red squiggles.
  • Grammar check . . . most of these are crap, but they serve a purpose.  For example, if a sentence (e.g. A gun was aimed at his head.) is marked passive voice.  Ah, but you want passive voice because you want to convey that the gun was aimed at your hero's head . . . a matter of agency and point of view . . . so answer the green squiggle and note, answer out loud.  If you don't have an answer, or all you can say is, "Well, I want it just because," consider recasting the sentence.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...