Skip navigation
515 Views 7 Replies Last post: Oct 12, 2017 11:24 PM by Seisa RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Feb 19, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 5, 2017 9:56 PM

Why does CreateSpace not allow buying books without registration?

I wonder why CreateSpace forces customers to register if they just want to purchase a book? I checked other marketplaces such as Lulu and found out that they allow guest purchase. I understand the fact that Amazon, the umbrella company, benefits the most from this blocked-transactions but isn't it a monopoly? Why no body brings up this issue?

Level 4 2,227 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Oct 5, 2017 10:33 PM in response to: Dazfa
Re: Why does CreateSpace not allow buying books without registration?

Dazfa wrote:

Why no body brings up this issue?

Because it would be futile.

Level 5 3,968 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
2. Oct 6, 2017 12:51 AM in response to: Dazfa

I reckon the reason CreateSpace makes it difficult to buy books from them is that they would much rather you buy from Amazon. That way they don't have to give away another 20% in royalties.

Of course, they could just stop selling books, full stop, but that would prevent them from telling authors they can get up to 60% in royalties.

Apart from that, they are quite nice.

Level 5 5,059 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
4. Oct 8, 2017 11:21 PM in response to: Dazfa

Dazfa wrote:

CreateSpace managers should at least do some research and see what happens if they open their estore to guest purchases. Even if they can open it for a trial, that would be great.

Sure. Except that Amazon's other arm, Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) now has print capabilities as well (and no store). It seems it's just a matter of time before CS ceases to exist, so don't expect them to put any additional money, time, or effort into it.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 3 430 posts since
Dec 13, 2011
5. Oct 12, 2017 5:56 PM in response to: Maaku
Of course, they could just stop selling books

I think they heard you! As of October 31, links to the CS Store will redirect to the book's detail page on Amazon:

To better serve customers and improve the online buying experience, we  will redirect customers who click on your CreateSpace eStore links to  their corresponding detail pages on Amazon.com starting October 31,  2017. If you have had sales through the e-store in the last 12 months,  you will receive an email with more details. For a list of FAQ’s, check  out our Help page.
Level 5 5,059 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
7. Oct 12, 2017 11:24 PM in response to: Dazfa

I think this is the first solid nail in CreateSpace's coffin (after many rumors). They have actually started to divest themselves of functionality, so it really is only a matter of time before they cease to exist and KDP Print becomes Amazon's only printing venture. Very sad.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...