Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
274 Views 9 Replies Last post: Oct 18, 2017 11:27 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 11 posts since
Jan 5, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2017 4:41 AM

Gutter for a cookbook

Hello,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  I am trying to submit a pdf cookbook to publish on createspace which has many internal images.  The professional design is meant for the images to bleed to the edge of the page, including into the gutters.  All of the text for the cookbook is well inside the .375" gutter margin but the images are supposed to go into the gutter.   Is it possible to request the book be printed without the gutter guidlines?  The book was already printed this way by an independant printer, but we are now trying to make the book available for in-demand printing on Amazon.

Thanks thanks thanks!

Level 5 5,059 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Oct 13, 2017 4:56 AM in response to: abusimbel
Re: Gutter for a cookbook

Your PDF and the full-bleed images must be 0.125" wider than your selected trim and 0.25" taller than the trim. That will make the image cover the entire page, including the inner edge of the page, near the spine. When you upload the interior, select the option "Ends after the end of the page."

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Jan 17, 2010
3. Oct 13, 2017 6:24 AM in response to: abusimbel

Since you didn't state your trim size, I'll use 6 X 9" as an example.

Your PDF and images must be exactly 6.125" wide. No more, no less.

They must be exactly 9.25" high.

You cannot have any text or any live elements any closer to the edges of the file than 0.375" (the inner safe zone may be larger, depending on your page count).

Does your file match that exactly? It sounds to me like you have some live element too close to the inside margin. Not the edge of the image itself, but some part of the image that CS interprets as a live element. Without seeing the offending page, I can't offer any further advice.

Level 5 18,913 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
5. Oct 13, 2017 9:39 AM in response to: abusimbel

I did the first 2-page spread image through BookSurge, which became CreateSpace.  They said it couldn't be done, but because it was not prohibited in their guidelines, they tried, it worked.

As soon as I see the 0.375" number, I suspect a content issue.  I just answered a post on this: https://forums.createspace.com/en/community/message/476601#476601

Check your PMs (Your Stuff > Private Messages)

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Jan 17, 2010
7. Oct 15, 2017 3:59 AM in response to: abusimbel

abusimbel wrote:

...the size of the pdf the designer sent me is not 5.625 x 8.75 but 6.08 x 9.08. She has trim size 'marks' within the file which are at 5.5 x 8.5 but these marks fall inside the gutter.

Then I think this is really your problem. If you send CS a file that doesn't exactly meet their print specifications, they'll often try to "help" by resizing the file, which usually results in other problems. The PDF should be exactly 5.625" wide and 8.75" high with no bleed or crop marks included. If you can get the designer to provide you a proper PDF for CS's specifications, I think you'll probably find that the error message they keep giving you will go away.

Level 5 18,913 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
9. Oct 18, 2017 11:27 AM in response to: abusimbel

If only one image bleeds on one side:

• You must select bleed (left):

• All pages must be sized as if they bleed (trim plus 0.125" top, bottom, and outside) . . . all pages must be the same size

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...