Skip navigation

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
1,903 Views 39 Replies Last post: Oct 23, 2017 6:08 AM by TornadoBrains RSS
  1 2 3 Previous Next
Level 0 8 posts since
Jul 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2017 6:43 AM

Amazons move to remove Create Space

I received an e mail today from

Amazon indicating that they were taking away the estore portion of Create Space.

That is not going to happen over the next year but in TWO WEEKS!  I also found out in conversation with them that they will be moving Create Space to Kindle.

So anyone who has used e store and has built a web site at their expense like I have done so they can link to the estore will find it inactive on October 31 2017. 

I assume there are many that will adversely affected by this. I think it is time to stand upo and let congress and the news media know of this action on Amazon's part.  I wish we could post e mails and contact information here but Amazon does not allow it for obvious reasons.

Shame on you Amazon.  I will be moving to another place.  But of course, the damage is done.  I cannot do it in two weeks.

Level 4 2,404 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
1. Oct 13, 2017 7:58 AM in response to: Larryp2012
Re: Amazons move to remove Create Space

Hi L,

To clarify, the move to KDP won't happen in the next two weeks, just the estore move to Amazon.  While the estore has some advantages, most sales already come from Amazon.

Stacy

Level 0 5 posts since
Jun 18, 2011
2. Oct 13, 2017 8:45 AM in response to: Larryp2012

I'm seriously considering moving soley to Ingramspark because of this.  I've been running the numbers:

I had 22 sales last month.  With one of the children's books (which is priced at $7.50) I made .29 with Amazon while the estore made me $1.79.  The same book made me $2.20 on Ingram!  Cutting out Amazon as the middle man greatly increases my profits.  (And Amazon IS the middleman since all Createspace books do come from Ingram!)

I have to sell about 6 copies on Amazon to equal the profit I get from one book on the estore. This means I'll have to increase my price to $10 to maintain my $1.79 profit.  But will increased prices drive buyers away? 

Createspace has its postivies.  It is conveniant, the cover creation, setup etc. is easier especially if you are new to publishing.  Createspace has good customer support who are willing to work with newbies.  There is also no setup fee like Ingram.  However, once you've learned to navigate Ingram's site and understand their terminology, it is simple to use.  Also, Ingram has 'no setup fee' sales at least twice a year - one is running right now - and you get discounts for bulk orders, even for a small run of 10 paperbacks! 

Being on Amazon creates visibility but my ebook sales give me that.    Perhaps, I'll start by moving all expanded distribution to Ingram and see how that impacts sales ranks vs the increased profits.

Level 0 4 posts since
Jun 20, 2012
4. Oct 13, 2017 10:43 AM in response to: Larryp2012

Agree with you totally. A large chunk of our sales comes through estore in Dec - Mar. These buyers will buy 30 books at at time. One wholesaler contacts me for a discount but the others do not and I have no way of telling them that this is happening because Createspace will not share this information. It will hurt our bottom line most definitely

Amazon's brand is going down hill fast. Third party (often subpar sellers) taking over the buy button. Last year a bookstore got a hold of me because they had trouble getting  their credit card to work on the estore. Now I wonder how often that  happened so that they ended up using Amazon.One of our reviews talks about the poor quality of their book and I just received a proof for our new book and the paper seems to be more like newsprint compared to our other book,and now this.

I get that Amazon does not see us as customers and they will always excuse their new policies as "good for the customers". But over the last two years we have seen a huge decline in standards from Amazon as a prime customer and a createspace user. This is what happens when a company has no competition.

Level 1 26 posts since
Mar 3, 2014
5. Oct 13, 2017 11:16 AM in response to: Larryp2012

It's really shocking that they would do this with only 2 weeks notice!  I didn't use the estore but I totally sympathise with anyone who has gone to the effort of setting up their process to use it.

Level 5 12,667 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
6. Oct 13, 2017 11:34 AM in response to: Larryp2012

First, I totally agree that this (and other things) could have been better communicated to us by CreateSpace. Even so, since Amazon acquired the companies that now make up CreateSpace, internal training and development has never seemed like a high priority. So I think it's quite possible that their staff finds out a lot of the stuff that comes down from Amazon at the same time we do (or even later).

With regard to Amazon...

Larryp2012 wrote:

I think when a large company tramples on those it serves, there does need to be intervention.

Amazon serves its shoppers/customers and (given a steady growth rate of 20+ percent) itself. We (indie publishers and self-publishing authors) are simply suppliers of product, and suppliers have virtually no influence over what Amazon does or doesn't do -- even the largest publishers have very little leverage.

I can appreciate that the eStore decision presents a major inconvenience for you, and that's unfortunate. Still, it sounds like you have a well-established enterprise, and if so, the two things you can count on in this business are (1) things will change, and (2) we can't always influence those changes the way we'd like -- sometimes we just have to adapt. I sincerely believe that contacting Congress and the news media about this issue would be a total waste of their time and ours.

Along the lines of "adapting," the strengths and shortcomings of the CreateSpace and KDP platforms have not been lost on other print providers and ebook aggregators. IngramSpark has become more novice-friendly and flexible (about certain things) while maintaining quality and consistency, and continually adding new features that authors and publishers have requested. BookBaby and Lulu have formed new global partnerships aimed at better serving markets outside the USA. And a few new players have joined the game, hoping to capture a portion of CreateSpace's self-publishing business.

Change can be both a disaster and an opportunity (and I apologize if that comes across like something that belongs in a motivational speech -- but then I guess that's kinda what this is).

There's probably more change to come, so best wishes as you (and all of us) try to adapt.

Level 0 5 posts since
Jun 18, 2011
7. Oct 13, 2017 11:48 AM in response to: Larryp2012

I'm sorry Larry2012 - I didn't mean to ignore your problems with the estore links and the short timeline.  I was being self-absorbed in my personal issues and offering a possible solution to anyone who is in a similar situation to my own.  The fact that Amazon is once again looking out for its own profit at our expense is upsetting to all users of Createspace, I'm sure.

Amazon is a business that puts profit and expansion above all else.  If they see a chance for growth, they take it regardless of who gets trampled along the way.  It is, perhaps, a good business model and well within their legal rights.  However, the ethics are questionable.

Level 5 3,672 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
8. Oct 13, 2017 1:04 PM in response to: Larryp2012

I did not receive an e-mail and am very glad that this is being talked about so that I am aware of it. I just checked and it appears that I have a minimum of at least 27 pages on my website that offer a discount code if ordered through CS.  Guess I have my work cut out for me unless we get some indication that Amazon will honor the CS discount codes, and I am not holding my breath for that to happen.  Two weeks notice, thank you so very much,  Amazon!

Dan'l

Jul 2, 2011
11. Oct 13, 2017 2:51 PM in response to: Larryp2012

I'm not with Amazon, and I'm not sugarcoating.

I am also concerned with the changes.  I merely wanted to clarify, both for you and anyone else reading this thread that the two week timeframe applies only to the estore, not the entire Createspace process being merged with KDP.

Level 4 2,227 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
13. Oct 13, 2017 3:11 PM in response to: Oreohelix

Yeah, Stacy, come clean. We're onto your trickery.

Jul 2, 2011
14. Oct 13, 2017 4:56 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

Ya got me!

I'm actually Jeff Bezos.  Oreohelix is my stripper name.

(Is that a disturbing enough visual for you?)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...