Skip navigation
996 Views 6 Replies Last post: Oct 16, 2017 8:32 AM by awin RSS
Level 0 95 posts since
May 31, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 8, 2017 1:13 PM

Who knows the skinny on getting your book in bookstores?

I would like to approach local bookstores about selling my book. What do I need to do?

Level 5 19,246 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
1. Sep 8, 2017 1:33 PM in response to: thestoryguy
Re: Who knows the skinny on getting your book in bookstores?

That's it . . . you approach a bookstore and talk with them.  Many local bookstore will have a local authors section.  Many bookstores will throw you out on your butt (I mean this figuratively).

Before or concurrently, try to get reviews, interviews, etc.  I would make this part of a marketing plan. For example, bookstores will often have authors speak . . .  There's more to be said about marketing if you're interested.

Walton

Level 5 19,246 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Sep 9, 2017 8:48 AM in response to: thestoryguy

Local media and social, religious, educational groups are generally on the lookout for local interest stories and speakers.

Prepare a press kit (bio, synopsis, head shot, cover image, reviews (write one yourself, and call it a Press Release), interviews, etc.).  Use it.  Send it out.  Follow up with a call.  Keep the kit current when you have something to add.

Have a website/blog that links to your book on Amazon.

Have business cards.

Keep a few books with you.  Give them out, sell them, whatever.

Look at posts here by DesireSuccess (aka Eric), for example

https://www.createspace.coum/en/community/message/196656#196656  Eric's list of references! https://www.createspace.com/en/community/message/224321#224321 Eric on Facebook

If you do speak, rehearse, rehearse, rehearse.  Also, prepare a list of questions, every question concievable, especially uncomfortable ones. Prepare answers.  Rehearse them.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 0 10 posts since
Feb 1, 2012
5. Sep 15, 2017 1:51 PM in response to: thestoryguy

I live in a smalll town with somewhat bigger towns around it. I just went to one of the bookstores in another town and asked, and showed her a copy of my books. She was very interested, and ordered right off the bat, and paid me with a check! I have just today replenished her stock with an even bigger order! If your book is interesting and you have gotten good feedback, just go to the bookstore. Can't hurt! Good luck!

Level 1 69 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
6. Oct 16, 2017 8:32 AM in response to: thestoryguy

You can approach independent stores as others have explained.  Typically you would offer the books on consignment and get paid for any that are actually sold.  (If a book gets lost or stolen, your loss.  If an unsold book is damaged, your problem.)  But you won't get as much exposure in the "local authors " section as in the correct section (Fiction, History, whatever.)  And relying on browsers accidentally finding your book won't result in many sales.  In short, nothing to get your or the bookstore excited, UNLESS you can get a ton of publicity.  If you're on the 10 o'clock news and your book is mentioned because it's about local history, then it makes sense to have it available at local bookstores.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...