Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
409 Views 2 Replies Last post: Oct 21, 2017 6:50 PM by Mediaman2 RSS
Level 0 15 posts since
Mar 21, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2017 4:11 PM

Is this a good way to do an Amazon pre-sale?

My book is complete but I don't want it released to the public until the middle of January (I'm tying-it into a media appearance). The person who formated it tells me that my e-book can be made availalble for pre-sale but my paperbook cannot. Also, apparently for me to get author copies,  the book must be up on Amazon.  Since I want author copies now for advanced release to the media & family, my book is currently listed (I'm just not telling anyone it's there and since I'm a first time author, no one will be trying to find me or the book).    My questions:

1.  Is this the best way to have my book available in three months?

2.  (Important) Does it negatively effect any Amazon ranking if my book sales are literally zero until a certain date, then they suddenly surge?

Many Thanks!

Level 5 15,645 posts since
May 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated
1. Oct 21, 2017 4:24 PM in response to: Mediaman2
Re: Is this a good way to do an Amazon pre-sale?

Mediaman2 wrote:

My book is complete but I don't want it released to the public until the middle of January (I'm tying-it into a media appearance). The person who formated it tells me that my e-book can be made availalble for pre-sale but my paperbook cannot.

Correct. Not with CS anyway. IngramSpark allows pre-orders, and not just via Amazon but all retailers.

1.  Is this the best way to have my book available in three months?

No, the IngramSpark option is best. You can choose to then approve the proof at CS and all future sales on Amazon will be supplied by CS.

2.  (Important) Does it negatively effect any Amazon ranking if my book sales are literally zero until a certain date, then they suddenly surge?

I think that's what most people strive to achieve, although preferable closer to the release date.

my book is currently listed (I'm just not telling anyone it's there and since I'm a first time author, no one will be trying to find me or the book).

Depending on the subject matter and how well you setup your metadata, they might find it anyway.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...