This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
1,198 Views 8 Replies Last post: Oct 25, 2017 10:49 AM by awin RSS
Level 0 9 posts since
May 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2017 3:33 PM

Question about LCNN eligibility...

My formatting is done, but before I proceed I have one question about getting a Library of Congress Control Number, as follows:

CreateSpace will apply for my LCNN ($25), which is fine. However, when looking at the Library's list of ineligible books, I came upon this:

According to the Library of Congress, the following types of books are ineligible for an LCCN:

• Books which do not list a U.S. city as place of publication on the title page or copyright page

Since the book is being published by CreateSpace, what city do I list?? "Printed in the United States" apparently doesn't suffice.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Level 5 15,543 posts since
May 4, 2008
1. May 16, 2017 4:38 PM in response to: Aiala
Re: Question about LCNN eligibility...

Aiala wrote:

Since the book is being published by CreateSpace, what city do I list??

You are the publisher, not CS, so you would list your city as the place of publication.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Books -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Check out the new SPAM-FREE Self-Publishers Forum

Level 5 12,948 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
3. May 17, 2017 7:41 AM in response to: Aiala
Re: Question about LCCN eligibility...

Yes, you can look at books by mainstream publishers for examples. Almost all will have either (a) the publisher's imprint name, logo, and city near the bottom of the title page, or (b) the publisher's imprint name and the address of its editorial offices on the copyright page. Many will have both.

Level 4 2,669 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
5. May 17, 2017 8:38 AM in response to: Aiala

Yep.

And your publishing company isn't make believe.

Level 1 109 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
8. Oct 25, 2017 10:49 AM in response to: Aiala

CS may be the printer but even with a CS-assigned ISBN and even though Amazon lists CS as the publisher YOU are still the publisher.

I've only used a CS assigned ISBN once but the publisher of record on the title page and LCCN record was My Publishing Co, My city and state.

Also, getting an LCCN is simple straightforward and free from the Library of Congress.  I wouldn't pay CS $25 (or even 25 cents) to do this but that's your choice.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...