Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Not Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
2,966 Views 7 Replies Last post: Oct 27, 2017 5:23 PM by AptosAuthor RSS
Level 0 49 posts since
Sep 10, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2017 3:30 PM

Why isn't Ingram giving bookstores the discount I am offering?

I am discounting my book 40 percent off the $16.99 retail price on Ingram. My understanding is that this is a standard discount for bookstores. (When I sell on consignment, having already absorbed Createspace's printing cost myself, the bookstore pays me 60 percent of the retail price.) Today I learned from a local bookstore owner that Ingram only offers her a 20 percent discount on my book, even though I authorized 40 percent. I will call Ingram about this on Monday, but in the meantime, does anybody have an idea why this is happening?

Level 2 130 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
1. Oct 25, 2017 9:51 AM in response to: AptosAuthor
Re: Why isn't Ingram giving bookstores the discount I am offering?

OP, you're discovering the economics of publishing.  Look at it this way.  You're paying Ingram so you don't spend valuable time and money driving around to bookstores, shipping a bunch of small orders to bookstores, billing them, keeping track of what they owe, trying to collect past due bills etc.  In other words unless you're selling a ton of books (enough to have a conventional printer print runs of 10,000 copies or more, which are selling like hotcakes) it'll cost you less to have IngramSpark take care of this for you.  You're already spending a lot of time on publishing, cover design, etc. instead of writing.  And the cost of bookstore distribution is what you pay for the opportunity to have people browse the shelves and find your book while browsing.

That's how I look at it.

Level 0 2 posts since
Jun 28, 2016
3. Oct 26, 2017 2:31 PM in response to: AptosAuthor

The distributor (Ingram) is making more money that you are.

It will be hard to survive on $2.60 royalty for a $16.99 book.

You have to buy computer ink ($1,000 a gallon, but you buy just a few ounces at a time), paper, internet service, software, a share of electricity, repairs, etc. What's left over hopefully keeps food on the table.

Big traditional publishers can keep their profit margin healthy with massive printings.

An indie can't afford a massive printing.

But an indie can boost profit to a better level by taking Atcharge of distribution.

I used a national distributor for a couple of years. Then I realized I was slowly going broke.

So I set up a vendor account with Amazon.

Then I listed my book as "used" but described it as "new" direct from the publisher.

I listed the book at full new price of $19.99

Then I shut off orders from Amazon and the distributor.

When Amazon sold a book, it notified me to ship it to the customer.

Amazon paid me about 70% of the full retail price, and included another $3+ to cover my cost of shipping to the customer.

Amazingly, Amazon paid me in 14 DAYS (instead of about 60) AND gave me the buyer's home address.

So I received $17+ for my $19.99 book.

Level 0 3 posts since
Jul 3, 2014
5. Oct 27, 2017 9:59 AM in response to: AptosAuthor

I believe that Ingram has its own marketing and

bookstores will not accept Ingram. B & N.

CS is not accepted either in retail stores.

Level 5 5,629 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
6. Oct 27, 2017 10:19 AM in response to: javarose2014

javarose2014 wrote:

I believe that Ingram has its own marketing and bookstores will not accept Ingram.

Uh, no. IngramSpark is owned by Ingram Content Group, which owns the Ingram catalogue. Ingram is the largest book distributor in the United States. Most US bookstores obtain their stock from Ingram.

CS is not accepted either in retail stores.

CreateSpace is a printer. If you use your own ISBN, there's really no reason that any bookstore would be aware that CS printed the book unless you told them so.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...