Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
690 Views 10 Replies Last post: Oct 27, 2017 9:38 AM by awin RSS
Level 0 4 posts since
Nov 18, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2017 12:21 PM

Book Cover Styles Question

Is there a way to find out the style of the book cover I used for a published book? I am writing a series and want to use the same style & format & font in different colors for each book.  But I can't see to find a way to get the specs...

Level 4 2,944 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Oct 26, 2017 12:26 PM in response to: cils526
Re: Book Cover Styles Question

Other than eyeballing it, I don't think you can. One more limitation of using the Cover Creator.

Level 5 19,170 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Oct 26, 2017 12:39 PM in response to: cils526

I assume you used CoverCreator.  If so, I think you're only choice is to go the templates until you find what you used.

Another option is to remake the cover: taking care to note all the particulars, then apply that to the new books. When you change the cover, the book will noted as unavailable on Amazon until the proof has been approved. I haven't used CoverCreator, but generally, except for huricanes and holidays, approval take as little as 8-12 hours, and if you approve the digital proof, you're good to go, quickly.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Sep 5, 2009
3. Oct 26, 2017 12:48 PM in response to: walton

I should have added . . .

You are better off learning how to make your own covers.  To that end I have a free, 30-page PDF, Make Your Cover (snappy, huh!). Keep the covers in their original multi-layer format.  You can then use them as a templates, just rename the file and change what you need to.  No guessing about fonts, colors, etc.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
5. Oct 26, 2017 12:55 PM in response to: cils526

"Good customer service" . . . where have you been?  Have you seen the spam?  Have you looked into KDP Print?

W

Sep 5, 2009
7. Oct 26, 2017 1:05 PM in response to: cils526

One reason for doing it yourself is that it's always possible that the CoverCreator will change.  There is something like it for KDP Print, I do not know if they are identical.  But the guidelines/specs between KDP Print and CS are quite different, and who knows what will happen.

Walton

Level 4 2,944 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
8. Oct 26, 2017 3:34 PM in response to: cils526

And yet another reason for doing it yourself: Cover Creator covers scream, "This book is self-published!"

Level 5 3,881 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
9. Oct 26, 2017 4:57 PM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum

And they also scream "hey, look at this, the very same background as about 1,000 other books!"

Dan'l

Level 2 137 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
10. Oct 27, 2017 9:38 AM in response to: cils526

Personally I've never used cover creator and have created my own pdfs.  .  I did try CC with my first book and gave up because I found it diffincult to work with.  Making my own pdf allows me to do exactly what I want to do, move text and artwork exactly where I want it, try different things and so on.  In your case, since you're doing a series with a unified look, I think you will find modifying a file you've already created with your own pdf (by changing title, blurb, etc. but keeping the same general look) will be far easier and time consuming than using Cover creator to create a cover from scratch each time.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...