Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
550 Views 8 Replies Last post: Nov 7, 2017 8:36 AM by walton RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Nov 2, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 6, 2017 11:11 PM

Portrait Barcode Box. 1.2 x 2 in.

I am curious to find out if there might be any others who could use a barcode box that is tilted 90 degrees beside myself. I tried to submit a cover design to test the flexibility of the rules. It got denied. It's very useful for the purpose of my book to have this design on the back page. Any body have experience with this? Thank you!

Level 5 5,591 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Nov 7, 2017 1:02 AM in response to: HenceHuman
Re: Portrait Barcode Box. 1.2 x 2 in.

The latest information from CS Customer Support is that any and all publisher-placed barcodes will be replaced with a CS one. So even if the review accepted your barcode location, they'd still replace it with their own, which I imagine would be in standard orientation.

Sarah
Editor & Book Designer
http://sleepingcatbooks.com
Find us on Facebook

Learning French? Try our bilingual English-French series

Self-publishing forum

Level 5 4,269 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
2. Nov 7, 2017 6:19 AM in response to: HenceHuman

It is good that you have actually run the experiment, even if you didn't get the response you hoped for. I've sometimes thought about using vertically oriented barcodes but eventually kept everything standard, during the day when CreateSpace was a bit more tolerant. I think the horizontal orientation makes things easier for bookshop assistants, but that's a post facto rationalisation if ever there was one.

Level 5 19,527 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Nov 7, 2017 6:56 AM in response to: HenceHuman

There are lots of permitted things we cannot do, different colors (white and black are not the only options), using a font that is not so mechanical and pedestrian, changing the size and location of the barcode, etc. I've even created a white background that looks like the old paper labels, where there is some thickness and a corner is peeling away: a great effect on a cover that is designed to look old.

Just because we can doesn't mean we should.  And in this case, we can't.

I have no idea why CS has changed its policy. I would think that for most people, using a template, getting a barcode, applying it in a graphics program, suggests a level of competence that would lead to a lower rate of rejections than all sorts of other things . . . which is to say that I would have thought this was lower level of blocking than say margin errors or selecting the wrong trim size (that is the biggest problem).  

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 3 336 posts since
Feb 11, 2016
4. Nov 7, 2017 7:04 AM in response to: walton

I suspect that the change in CS's barcode policy may relate to part of the upcoming conversion to KDP Print, so they likely want to have one set of rules.

Sep 5, 2009
5. Nov 7, 2017 7:17 AM in response to: BooksAndMore

I forgot about the CS > KDP Print thing.  Yes, that would explain it.

Things are going downhill.

Walton

Sep 5, 2009
8. Nov 7, 2017 8:36 AM in response to: HenceHuman

About a year ago, KDP announced a beta program, KDP Print.  They do what CS does, and CS has apparently acknowledged that there will be a melding of the two print companies, so the guess is CS will disappear.

Here is a comparison chart:

Here is a link to the KDP Print Guide.  I have not used KDP Print, but as I compare the two, there is zero reason to use KDP Print.  I think the winner will be Spark.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...