Skip navigation
1,448 Views 5 Replies Last post: Nov 7, 2017 11:57 AM by danwiz RSS
Level 0 43 posts since
Mar 24, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2017 7:55 AM

Promoting Ideas for my book?

Okay, my book has been out for over a month and has a total of 21 sales on Amazon.  Locally, I have been doing book signings which have gone great and over 1000 copies have been sold at these, but I would like to see a wider distribution happening through Amazon.  I have never done this before and I just don't know how I am supposed to do this.

My book is a biography about a man who was a radical atheist that became a Christian through a dramatic experience and has spent the last 55 years doing extreme missionary work in 28 countries around the world.  It is probably one of the most unique exciting missionary biographies written in the last fifty years, but the man it is written about is completely unknown to the "Christian World", because he has never sought fame and has worked completely independent of all association with Christian denominations and organizitions.  A true independent man of unwavering faith that trusted completely and only on God for his every need.

Since no one knows about him, I am not really sure how to promote the book.  I was thinking of just mailing out some books to major Christian radio stations and TV networks and hope they read the book, and maybe if they enjoy it, they might talk about it or even ask for the man to come on their show to talk about the book.  It's just a thought.  What do some of you more experienced authors think about this idea?  Or, do you have any other ideas of how I might go about promoting the book outside of my local sphere of influence?  Thanks.

Level 0 10 posts since
Feb 1, 2012
1. Sep 15, 2017 2:00 PM in response to: GoffBooks
Re: Promoting Ideas for my book?

You might set up at church events and also community events. You might have to pay a small fee or turn over a percentage of proceeds at a community event, if it is one to raise money for something in the community. Also be sure and ask people who buy your book to write a review on Amazon; make it easy for them by emailing them a link to your book page. I have found that word of mouth is a great way to sell books; friends who know other friends, who have family members who might be interested. One lady at my church buys 8 or more copies of every new book from me for her family members at Christmas. Also local bookstores are usually willing to carry local authors' books. Just be sure if you leave any on consignment to write out an agreement as to how much they get and how much you get and have them sign it. That way there is no misunderstanding. I don't like to do consignments; I prefer them to buy my books outright. Most of them do; I have one lady that I do consignment with. Best of luck to you!

Level 5 19,426 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Nov 7, 2017 1:48 PM in response to: GoffBooks

Have a business plan. Prepare it as if you were going on Shark Tank. Why? Because it focuses your attention. It's easy, after a few weeks, to start writing your next book, planning a vacation, working on your website tomorrow . . . It's not written in stone, but close. Know where your are, who/what you are competing against, why anyone would by your book, etc. All the 5 w's & how.

In advertising we had a concept "client fatigue." The client would look at his ads, over and over and over. Eventually, not even his dog would look at them. "Time for a new ad." But studies often showed, assuming there was $$$ for studies, the ad had barely gotten any top of mind awareness, and often it was months before there was any fatigue in the real world. The market plan should take this into consideration.

I would have a print copy as well as a Kindle. Use CS for the print copy. Keep a print copy handy . . . to show, to sell, to give away. If you've got a paper copy that isn't bad enough to replace, but not good enough to sell, use it to give away, "I'd love to buy your book, but I can't afford it." (How do you hand out or sell your book to someone you meet at lunch?)

Have a website where you can link to the Amazon pages. Make your site content rich. Spend time building your page rankings. Remember, if someone hears an interview or reads a review, he is likely to remember only bits and pieces of your name and the title. You want that person to find you!

Have a business card, oh, and keep a few with you!

Take advantage of local media, social and business groups, etc. They are all looking for interesting, local interest stories, interviews, speakers. Start locally, move out regionally. Prepare every possible question. Work on good answers. Write them out. Rehearse them out loud. Rehearse them as if they are lines in a play. Concentrate on the awkward/bad ones. For example, if your book were a US history book and you quite college after your second year, explain why I would want to read your book.

Start locally, as you have, move out regionally, then further out.

Have a press kit: head shot, bio, cover, synopsis, sample review/press release, FAQs, reviews, list of interviews, copy of the book, etc. Keep this up to date. Use it to get reviews, interviews, talks. Keep a tickler file to be able to follow up. Lots of interviews are done by phone, so moving out regionally isn't so far fetched.

Have a t-shirt, pen, etc. You'd be surprised how well these corny things work.

Look up almost any post by DesireSuccess, aka Eric, on the CS forum:

https://www.createspace.coum/en/community/message/196656#196656 Eric's list of references! Eric on Facebook

Amanda Hocking was a CS author, with a CS ISBN, just in case anyone here is a no one will ever read a book with a free CS ISBN person, she sold hundreds of thousands of copies of her book. Social media. Social media. Social media. She was picked up a few years ago by St. Martin's Press.

Often you'll hear the expression that writing a book is like giving birth (being a guy, I'll take this on faith), but marketing your book is like raising a child, and it takes years!

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 19,426 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
3. Nov 7, 2017 9:44 AM in response to: walton

Whoever got rid of the spam, thank you!

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 7, 2017
4. Nov 7, 2017 10:08 AM in response to: walton

yes get rid of spamming

Level 5 3,887 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
5. Nov 7, 2017 11:57 AM in response to: plesk

As I recall YOU are the spammer and I reported both of your posts!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...