This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
1,376 Views 7 Replies Last post: Nov 25, 2017 12:47 PM by VTJM RSS
Level 0 5 posts since
Nov 9, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 10, 2017 11:52 AM

What is the anatomy of CD artwork?

It is my first time creating the artwork for a CD. I have downloaded the templates, and the written instructions are very clear.... as long as one knows exactly where an Outside booklet resides, as well as the Inside booklet, front tray card, and back tray card - CD Disc Face is completely clear.
I've got a CD in front of me and I have opened the case up to reveal the CD (on the right of the case hinge) and an insert on the left of the hinge.
My questions are as follows;

a) How does the term "Outside booklet" relate to the CD case when closed?

b) How does the term "Inside booklet" relate to the CD case when closed?

c) How does the term "Front tray card" relate to the CD case when closed?

d) How does the term "Back tray card" relate to the CD case when closed?

For me the current terms are ambiguous and I'd rather not start the design work only to find I've got everything back to front.

All help welcomed.

Cheers.

Level 5 12,826 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Nov 10, 2017 2:09 PM in response to: VTJM
Re: What is the anatomy of CD artwork?

Just to clarify, is it these written instructions that you've read and are not understanding?

Level 5 4,211 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
2. Nov 10, 2017 5:32 PM in response to: VTJM

VTJM wrote:

My questions are as follows;

a) How does the term "Outside booklet" relate to the CD case when closed?

b) How does the term "Inside booklet" relate to the CD case when closed?

c) How does the term "Front tray card" relate to the CD case when closed?

d) How does the term "Back tray card" relate to the CD case when closed?

Look closely at the dimensions and other information and it should all become clear. There are only two pieces of paper:

1. The booklet is folded in half and slides into the hinged cover and has four 'pages'. Because it is folded it has an inside and an outside. The right half of the outside is the front cover artwork.
  2. The card sits at the back of the box, beneath a clear plastic insert that holds the CD in place. It has two surfaces, one of which is only visible if you open the box and remove the CD. The other surface forms the back cover artwork of the box, and it includes artwork for the two edges (left and right) of the box. The edges need to be treated as you would the spine on a book (vertically oriented text, carefully placed within the borders). The templates should make this clear. Everything I have read refers to the inside and outside of this card, not the front and back. Has the material changed?
Level 5 4,211 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
6. Nov 20, 2017 6:11 AM in response to: VTJM

Yeah, OK. As long as you now know what to do, be grateful. I wouldn't expect CreateSpace to polish their online material for consistency; in fact, I am surprised they are still bothering to offer CD POD.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...