Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
1,077 Views 7 Replies Last post: Nov 15, 2017 2:12 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Jul 7, 2015
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 19, 2017 5:40 PM

Need help formatting a cover!

Ok... I've written several books but this is the first time I'm needing help with a created cover... I'm having an artist draw the full cover (front and back) so I can essentially wrap it around the book, it'll be a piece of artwork that I'll scan and then work on the scanned file... now, I need advice, I'm open to anyone helping and advising me on what I need to do... what program do I need, what do I need to do next?  

Thank you for the help.

Level 4 1,599 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
1. Oct 19, 2017 5:57 PM in response to: Imnutty
Re: Need help formatting a cover!

Get a template! The link is below. This will be the correct size, but you'll need to know your final page count first.

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Level 5 19,560 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Oct 20, 2017 1:19 PM in response to: Imnutty

Get a cover template from Steve.  Download my Make Your Cover. Both are free.  The tutorial is 30 pages, and written for GIMP (free), although most programs would follow the same steps, with only small differences, mostly in where the tools are.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 4,277 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
3. Oct 20, 2017 9:11 PM in response to: Imnutty

I back up what the others have said.

Artists tend to blithely fly off with a concept and end up producing work that doesn't fit the aspect ratio, puts something important right on the fold, or leaves untidy edges. Designers are more inclined to ask for the dimensions and specifications before starting work, but even they sometimes want for discipline. Make sure you get off on the right foot by sending your artist the template with instructions that unless the work fits it'll have to be done again.

There's my thought for the day.

Level 2 127 posts since
Sep 19, 2017
5. Oct 23, 2017 8:37 AM in response to: Imnutty

A different approach would be to calculate the size you need, based on number of pages and book trim size.  (CS explains this somewhere)  Then tell the artist that these are the dimensions you need.  I don't know whether the artist will also include the title/author for the front cover (hand-lettered perhaps?) or whether you will add that.  Ditto the spine.  Be very careful with the spine, I would strongly suggest that YOU add the spine lettering using whatever program you use, because of very exact requirements.  Adding your own front cover author/title allows you to play around with color, font, size and placement of type, so that would be my personal preference.

Let the artist know where the barcode will be placed too, so nothing important goes there since the barcode will cover it up.

On second thought getting a template and printing it out (if you can get the template to print guidelines, ISBN box placement etc.) might be a good idea.

Level 5 19,560 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
7. Nov 15, 2017 2:12 PM in response to: Imnutty

You said you were having art prepared for you.  My tutorial will produce a cover, if followed step by step.  Given where you were, getting the art, it should be easy peasy.

If my tutorial did not work, let me know and I'll refund what you paid.

Walton

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...