Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Answered (go to answer)

2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
1,932 Views 16 Replies Last post: Nov 16, 2017 6:16 PM by Phoenix61 RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 1 98 posts since
Jan 6, 2014
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 8, 2017 7:28 AM

Write, don't look for acceptance.

i get 100 e-mails a day and I can't stop them.  You are wasting your time-looking for approval.  I have called CreateSpace, tried to stop e-mail notifications.  Well, time to delete all your worthless blather.  By the time I finish, I'll have 50 more of your pious, indignant responses. 

Level 5 5,714 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
1. Nov 8, 2017 8:04 AM in response to: Robertlamak
Re: Write, don't look for acceptance.

You do realize that this is a community forum, right? Your post basically just went up on a virtual bulletin board, so if you were trying to send a message to a particular individual...you didn't.

Level 5 19,578 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Nov 8, 2017 8:26 AM in response to: Robertlamak

Perhaps you clicked Receive Email Notifications?  At one time, I think, there was a place where you could set that globally . . . that is, as a standard default (don't remember for sure).

As for "pious, indignant responses" . . . I've been active on the forum for a few years and I've answered a few posts.  I do not remember seeing a post by you.  If you have not been active on the forum, who would know to email you?  Why would anyone email you?  Why would anyone have an attitude towards you?  However, reading that, makes me feel that it's a blanket indictment of those of us who answer questions here . . . and it has the consequence of making me want to respond with stern, pious, fire and brimstone, indignation.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 3 459 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
3. Nov 8, 2017 11:08 AM in response to: Robertlamak

Here's a thread on the Jive forum about this topic.  One post in particular highlights the issue you describe.

The end of the thread indicates that the problem was resolved in a software update released in July, 2016.  This kind of suggests that CS's forum software is rather out of date.

Level 3 459 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
4. Nov 8, 2017 8:36 AM in response to: Robertlamak

I am pleased to note that I posted a response that went off into Post Purgatory (probably due to a couple of links in it that don't point to bootleg videos); that suggests that CS is at least doing something to try to control some of the spam posts.

I'm guessing that it might show up eventually.

Sep 5, 2009
5. Nov 8, 2017 11:08 AM in response to: reffort

While videos are the new go-to . . . don't you miss the days of male enhancement and skin care products????

W

Sep 5, 2009
6. Nov 8, 2017 8:59 AM in response to: reffort

I just had a post to you moderated: the text, in its entirety, is as follows with self-censored adjustments:

While v*d**s are the new go-to . . . don't you miss the days of m**e en*****ment and s**n care products????     W

Just curious to see if this goes through, maybe they are looking for key words and are a year too late!

Level 3 459 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
7. Nov 8, 2017 9:20 AM in response to: walton

The gist of my post was that, according to a thread on the J*iv*e forum, *J*i*v*e* had made a modification to the behavior of the forum software so that the user couldn't turn off e-mail notifications (this was an intentional enhancement).  One post (apparently from a J8v3 employee) acknowledged that the inability to opt out of e-mail messages probably violates the CAN SPAM act.  A fix was issued in July, 2016, and was confirmed to work, suggesting that CS's forum software may be woefully out of date.

Level 5 6,015 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
8. Nov 8, 2017 9:58 AM in response to: Robertlamak

Perhaps you should just turn off the notification setting under preferences on your profile page instead of going on a random rant to the forum members about something that only you can control.

Honestly a rant such as this just makes me want to continue posting in this thread to "help" the notifications along.

Level 5 6,015 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
9. Nov 8, 2017 10:00 AM in response to: reffort

reffort wrote:

The gist of my post was that, according to a thread on the J*iv*e forum, *J*i*v*e* had made a modification to the behavior of the forum software so that the user couldn't turn off e-mail notifications (this was an intentional enhancement).  One post (apparently from a J8v3 employee) acknowledged that the inability to opt out of e-mail messages probably violates the CAN SPAM act.  A fix was issued in July, 2016, and was confirmed to work, suggesting that CS's forum software may be woefully out of date.

The CS forum allows you to opt out of all emails without issue. I have never received a forum email update as I have all notifications off.

Sep 5, 2009
10. Nov 8, 2017 10:09 AM in response to: reffort

I was being somewhat tongue and cheek, but was surprised that my post, with no signature full of links, no links in the basic content, no bad language,etc. should be moderated.

Much of CS's operation is out of date.  Many of the actual printing problems encountered and reported on here are due, according to Adobe, to out-of-date software.  Why would they keep the forum up-to-date when they don't seem to care about it anyway.

Walton

Level 3 459 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
11. Nov 8, 2017 10:13 AM in response to: R.C.

I don't receive any, either, but I have never opted in.  The issue that is posted repeatedly (and, according to several of those posts, has been confirmed by CS customer support) is that it can't be turned off once it has been turned on.

Level 4 2,972 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
12. Nov 8, 2017 10:21 AM in response to: Robertlamak

Things like this would be much easier to understand if you hadn't had the lobotomy.

Sep 5, 2009
13. Nov 8, 2017 10:24 AM in response to: reffort

That's my kind of opt in program!  Simple.  One way.

W

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...