This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts)
494 Views 5 Replies Last post: Nov 16, 2017 5:44 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Nov 14, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 15, 2017 9:25 AM

Spacing at end of chapters

Hi! Can anyone tell me why the last page of each chapter has different spacing? The text starts partway down the page, at the end of every chapter. Any clue as to what is happening? I've had several writers try to help me, to no avail. Thanks, in advance. I have to go to a meeting, but will check back later.

Mel

Level 5 3,942 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Nov 15, 2017 9:42 AM in response to: Melsie
Re: Spacing at end of chapters

Using MS Word it sounds like?  Go to Page Setup and find the box that specifies Page Vertical Alignment and make sure that it is set to "top".

Dan'l

Level 5 19,527 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Nov 15, 2017 12:47 PM in response to: Melsie

Dan'l is probably right.  You can also check to make sure that the you don't have some odd setting in Paragraph > Page and line breaks > Pagination. But . . .

CS templates often have a kind of corruption that produces this effect.  It is semi-curable by doing what he suggests, change the vertical alignment from Center to Top.  However in the corrupted files I've worked on, this simple causes the problem to appear somewhere else in the book.

A second issue with the templates is headers that are very big.  These can often be fixed by working in the offending template itself. Turn on show hidden: ¶; you might see a problem.

When you fix the problem, make a PDF.  Check the PDF very very very carefully, line by line, page by page.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 5 4,269 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
5. Nov 16, 2017 5:44 PM in response to: Melsie

Melsie wrote:

I need a course in Word.

It would be good if people in general studied the tools they apply to tasks, but that rare behaviour appears to be linked to a mutant gene that has never managed to propagate through the species, despite the Darwinian effects of numerous toaster electrocutions, candle immolations and firework haircuts.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...