Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
808 Views 6 Replies Last post: Nov 20, 2017 9:41 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 0 7 posts since
Oct 20, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 18, 2017 4:55 PM

Unspeakably expensive ...

I have now converted (at great effort) all my e-Books to be available here in paperback.  I do not expect any monetary return for that investment of time. The print-on-demand price is so expensive that no one but a family member would ever pay it. I know I personally would not pay it. A common 300 page paperback for $18 US. Absurd.

That's OK, I still keep selling a few every month as e-Books. And, like someone here told me, it doesn't cost me a penny to do the conversion.

But the bigger issue for the long run is how can traditional publishing other than for established authors ever work? The cost-to-own is simply too much. Apparently, material and labor costs have driven the cost to turn out a paperback book out of reasonable reach.

But I am here and I am happy to have my books available in case any crazy people drift by.

Level 4 2,667 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
1. Nov 18, 2017 5:56 PM in response to: MisterURL
Re: Unspeakably expensive ...

I'm guessing your book is in color, or has several hundred pages.  Is that right?

Level 5 15,645 posts since
May 4, 2008
2. Nov 20, 2017 5:29 PM in response to: MisterURL

MisterURL wrote:

But the bigger issue for the long run is how can traditional publishing other than for established authors ever work? The cost-to-own is simply too much. Apparently, material and labor costs have driven the cost to turn out a paperback book out of reasonable reach.

Traditional publishing doesn't use POD for new releases, usually only to keep backlist books in print. They do large offset runs, which brings the unit cost to a fraction of the POD price.

I don't think $18 is too much for 300 pages -- my books of the same size sell well at $23-25.

I was in a bookshop in NZ yesterday, and paperbacks are commonly priced at over $30 there. I bought one to read on the plane home for $33. (352 pages)

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 5 15,645 posts since
May 4, 2008
5. Nov 20, 2017 11:30 PM in response to: MisterURL

MisterURL wrote:

Is NZ New Zealand?

Yep.

I should add, I'm from Australia. The $23-25 pricing I mentioned is AUD. I try to keep my books under $19.95 USD and under GBP14.

Michelle

-------------

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 5 4,269 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
6. Nov 20, 2017 9:41 PM in response to: MisterURL

Here's what I paid for the last six paperbacks I bought:

$24.99

$23.24

$30.68

$34.36

$19.98

$30.68

I have paperbacks on sale in the $20-$35 range and make $8 royalty per copy on some titles.

NZ is New Zealand.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...