Skip navigation

This Question is Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
436 Views 7 Replies Last post: Nov 21, 2017 11:56 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
Nov 2, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 19, 2017 7:47 AM

Late to the dance?

Greetings to all and glad to join the community.

I'm one of those book beings who's been jotting down thoughts and ideas for stories and novels since college days a lifetime ago (have two big boxes full of scribbled nonsense with a few gems sprinkled here and there).

Three kids and four grandkids later, retirement has afforded me the opportunity to dedicate myself more fully to my lifelong passion. I finally completed my first novel. Three months to complete first draft and fifteen months of rewrites/revisions. I waited this long, why should I settle for less than my best. Ebook is up on Amazon and I'm waiting for my softcover proof copy from CreateSpace. I'm currently working on a short story collection.

To answer my own question, no, it's never too late for anyone to be the best person, husband, father, grandfather, writer, artist, factory worker, waitress... you can be.

Level 5 12,824 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
1. Nov 20, 2017 10:47 AM in response to: rgvaz
Re: Late to the dance?

rgvaz wrote:

I finally completed my first novel. Three months to complete first draft and fifteen months of rewrites/revisions. I waited this long, why should I settle for less than my best.

Good for you! A lot of self-publishing authors, once they finish that first draft, are in a huge rush -- and try to do in just three or four weeks (by themselves) what an entire staff would spend the next eight months (or longer) doing if the book were being handled by a major publisher. Best of luck with your new release (and your next project).

Level 3 694 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
2. Nov 21, 2017 11:04 AM in response to: rgvaz

I am a late-comer to the writing addiction as well. I did rush my first novel a bit and am less than satisfied with it. On my second now and taking my time. All the best with your book and welcome to the forum. How about a link to your  book so we can have a peak?

Joe.

Level 0 1 posts since
Nov 21, 2017
5. Nov 21, 2017 1:34 PM in response to: rgvaz

its never to late!

Level 4 2,521 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
6. Nov 21, 2017 5:46 PM in response to: CindyAuthor