Skip navigation

This Question is Not Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
481 Views 4 Replies Last post: Nov 23, 2017 4:58 PM by rgvaz RSS
Level 0 6 posts since
Nov 2, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 23, 2017 9:24 AM

Is CS Glossy Cover Higher Quality than Matte?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Just a question regarding CS covers. I received my first proof for my novel and was disappointed with the matte finish. As a book lover, I love the way books feel in my hands. Softcover matte finish books shouldn't be this sticky or prone to retaining finger marks. The cover looks good, but doesn't feel good. I suspect there are other book lovers out there who feel the same way and would not be especially happy with the texture of a book they paid for, which could affect their rating of the book, unfortunately.

Is the CS glossy finish more "professional" looking than the CS matte? I understand glossy is used mainly for novel covers that have lots of black or dark tones, or with non-fiction books. But I'm really not happy with the matte and how potential readers might react to it, and would go with the glossy finish if there are no obvious drawbacks. 

Level 4 2,740 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
1. Nov 23, 2017 9:36 AM in response to: rgvaz
Re: Is CS Glossy Cover Higher Quality than Matte?

In my humble opinion, glossy is the only way to go, for the reasons you stated.

Level 4 2,669 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
2. Nov 23, 2017 11:01 AM in response to: Lorem_Ipsum
Re: Is CS Glossy Cover Higher Quality than Matte?

I like the look of glossy over matte, but in my experience glossy covers tend to curl up.  I'm careful with handling and storing books, but they curl up anyway.  Sometimes I open the box and the contents already have (beautifully glossy) curled covers.   But not always.

Judging by the Amazon feedback, buyers have not been delighted with the curling either.

It's odd.  Sometimes the exact book printed from the same files will curl, in other shipments they're all fine.   I've never had curling with matte, so now I only use matte.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...