Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
726 Views 11 Replies Last post: Nov 30, 2017 12:22 PM by walton RSS
Level 0 11 posts since
Dec 27, 2016
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 26, 2017 4:12 PM

My illustrator has created individual pdf files of the illustrations and text of my children's book. I can't seem to create a continues document with these files to upload to CreateSpace. Anyone met with the same problem? How did you overcome it? Thanks!

My illustrator has created individual pdf files of the illustrations and text of my children's book. I can't seem to create a continues document with these files to upload to CreateSpace. Anyone met with the same problem? How did you overcome it? Thanks!

Level 5 3,946 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Nov 26, 2017 4:26 PM in response to: Mamaluchka
Re: My illustrator has created individual pdf files..

What software are you using to attempt to do this?

Are all of the illustrations the same size?

Are they all the size of the book you want to print (6 x 9, 8 x 10, etc.)?

Are you going for full-bleed or no bleed?

This would be an easy task with Adobe Acrobat, but if the illustrations are not the size of book you want to print and if they are different sizes then you've got problems.  That would mean that you'd have to re-save your PDF files as image files and insert those images into a Word, OO, LO, or other software to create your book.

Dan'l

Level 5 4,269 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
2. Nov 26, 2017 5:17 PM in response to: danwiz

Conversely, If you are going to use LibreOffice (LO) you may as well try loading the pdf files straight into LibreOffice Draw and reassembling the book there. This is a simpler workflow. I am not sure whether OpenOffice (OO) can do the same trick, but it's worth a try.

However, I feel that the illustrator has left you in the lurch somewhat. They ought to send you image files instead, to agreed size and dpi specifications.

Level 5 3,946 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
4. Nov 26, 2017 6:38 PM in response to: Mamaluchka

What was the error message you got when you UPLOADED your file to CS?

You can see the page size in Adobe Acrobat by hovering your cursor near the lower left-hand edge of a page.

Bleed means that the images extend to the very edges of the pages.  If that is the case then the size you need to upload is 7.125 x 10.25 inches and you have to specify full bleed.  If your images do NOT go all the way to the edge of the page then you must have sufficient margins, as specified in the CS requirements.

I totally agree with Maaku that your illustrator has left you in somewhat of a poor spot by not sending you JPEG images to work with.

It also seems that you have not spent the necessary time reading the CS requirements and so on.  I suggest that you now click on the upper left-hand corner "Books", "Publish a Trade Paperback" and then read every word under every tab there.  You should especially download, save, read and keep forever, the "CreateSpace PDF Submission Specification" which you find under the "Interior" tab on the pages I sent you to.  That is our Bible, so to speak.

Dan'l

Click Logo for Our Homepage
View Our Book Titles

Level 5 15,645 posts since
May 4, 2008
5. Nov 26, 2017 7:01 PM in response to: Mamaluchka
Re: My illustrator has created individual pdf files of the illustrations

The only DTP software I'm aware of that can insert PDFs is InDesign, and maybe Scribus.

Open the PDFs in Acrobat and save them as JPGs -- then you can use any software you like to do the book layout.

Michelle

-—--—--—

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 4 1,598 posts since
Aug 30, 2010
6. Nov 26, 2017 7:55 PM in response to: Mamaluchka
Re: My illustrator has created individual pdf files of the illustrations and text

If you can't get this to work, I can help. I have some software that very simply joins PDFs together to make a PDF document with all the individual PDFs. I use it quite often for these types of tasks. Send me an email via my web site (link below), or message me via Private Message here. Look in "Your Stuff" near the top of the CreateSpace window for the Private Messages. You can send me the PDF files via dropbox or wetransfer.com, I'll join them up and send you back the complete PDF.

Cheers,

Steve - bookow.com - painless print & e-book formatting

Level 5 19,528 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
11. Nov 30, 2017 12:22 PM in response to: Mamaluchka
Re: My illustrator has created individual pdf files of the illustrations

Adobe Acrobat will let you create a single PDF made up of files in all sorts of formats.  EIther File > Create > Combine FIles into a Single PDF or click on the Create Button  then Combine FIles into a Single PDF.

Adobe Reader will not do this.

There are other PDF conversion programs that will let you merge files, some are free, some aren't. Do a Google search for what you need.  However . . .

Unless your illustrator gave you all the pages you need, it sounds like you need to build your book, not just combine individual PDF pages.  You can use a desktop publishing program, Scribus, for example, which is free.  As I recall, you can place/insert PDFs as well as other file types.  Serif has PagePlus, no longer supported but a great price.  In both of these, you could then export your file to PDF.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...