Skip navigation
261,012 Views 363 Replies Last post: Apr 22, 2018 8:50 AM by tacticalguider RSS Go to original post
  1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 Previous Next
Level 1 19 posts since
Sep 3, 2015
Currently Being Moderated
345. Nov 12, 2017 12:54 PM in response to: northexpress
Re: HELP! Interior Templates for Books

Hello North Express

I found and downloaded both the formatted and the unformatted CS template for 5.5 x 8.5 and poured in my carefully formatted word for mac 2016 document into the unformatted template.  And then poured the new file into the CS formatter.  Guess what? the text and images are all over the place. CS message - You chose 5.5 x 8.5 but your file is 8.5x11. text is outside the margins, insufficient gutter.  What did i miss?  in word file on "Page"size, there is no 5.5x8.5 choice so I picked A5 which is 5.83x8.26.  Ready to scream.  Is it because I am on a Mac?  what is the problem?

I had tried the CS template last year and couldn't get it to work. Any other suggestions?

Level 0 6 posts since
Mar 6, 2013
346. Nov 12, 2017 2:07 PM in response to: BuffaloGal

BuffaloGal, I don't use a mac and haven't used the CS formatter you speak of, but I will point out that there are two places where you might have to set dimensions in your document to match the trim size you chose when you set up your book project on CreateSpace.

First, the paper size in the Word page layout needs to be set to your correct dimensions, if you are using a template whose page size is different from your chosen trim size.

Second, when you print the finished, formatted document to PDF for upload to CS, you must set the paper size in your PDF printer to your exact dimensions. I also use 5.5" x 8.5" for my books. As you said, that was not one of the pre-set choices in the paper size list. So I created and saved a new standard paper size of those dimensions. Look in your PDF printer's properties or options to find the place to do that; it varies from one PDF printer to the next. After you save your new paper size, it will show in the list.

Then, every time you print the document to PDF, doublecheck the PDF printer settings to be sure the paper size is set to the correct dimensions. Mine sneaks back to the Letter default after I close the document (which is pretty much what default settings do ) so I've learned to look and make sure before I hit the Print button.

Good luck!

Linda

Level 0 6 posts since
Mar 6, 2013
347. Nov 12, 2017 2:45 PM in response to: walton
Re: You Asked... We Listened - CreateSpace Now Offers Interior Templates for Books

Hi, Walton. Belatedly following up on your May comments, to let you know how the screwy-galooey music notation in my Bible study book was finally resolved.

Three notation fonts are available in MuseScore. I had used the default, Emmentaler. It turned out that Emmentaler is not embeddable, due to its creator's copyright restrictions. Aha!

One of the two alternate fonts, Bravura, is Open Source and embeddable, so I re-did the scores with Bravura. Still got gobbledygook, until I changed my PDF printer settings too, from the default version 1.4 to version 1.3.  Victory!

Armed with this experience, I recently compiled my new songbook, Now Sings My Soul, which includes about 130 scores. I used Bravura and printed the score pages to PDF in MuseScore using PDF995 (which I think is preset to version 1.3). All the scores sailed through CreateSpace's review process, and printed flawlessly in my first physical proof. I'm waiting for my second physical proof (to see how CS prints my revised cover), and hope to go live with it soon.

Thank you for pointing my investigation toward the notation font. I had taken for granted that it was embedded, because I had set all the options to embed all fonts.

Blessings,

Linda

Level 5 4,256 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
348. Nov 12, 2017 8:47 PM in response to: L_B_O
Re: You Asked... We Listened - CreateSpace Now Offers Interior Templates for Books

And thanks to you too, for following up with this useful information. I will have a look at your book.

Level 1 85 posts since
Apr 8, 2012
349. Nov 13, 2017 6:24 AM in response to: BuffaloGal

Under the "layout" on my tool bar I click "size" and then I scroll down to "more paper sizes" and it shows a box to change down to whatever size you want. Then I go to "margins" and whatever else I need to set.

Level 1 19 posts since
Sep 3, 2015
350. Nov 14, 2017 3:21 PM in response to: northexpress

Agggghhhhh! Still struggling on with the revision and Updated Version 2 of my Who's Your Daddy? book. Trying to put the manuscript into the formatter for Create Space. It looks so easy ...but ... not so much.

I am on a Mac using MS Word for Mac 2016 latest version 15.40 and Sierra version 10.12.
My nonfiction illustrated book is 280 pages with about 100 illustrations.

After many frustrating attempts to get my word doc into CS, I decided I would have to use the CS template. I poured in my carefully formatted word for mac 2016 document (docx) into the unformatted create space template 5.5x8.5. That did not go well. The CS template styles changed my fonts and all the formatting, but it did not keep the text inside the pages. I went through and had to reformat every page using the styles for subject heads page headers/footers, page numbers etc . After you move an illistration once or twice to fit, the doc becomes unstable (corrupted?) so I copy the entire file and open a new document. Finally got it done.

And then I poured the new file into the CS formatter. They reviewed it and Guess what? CS couldn't read the doc file, so I saved it as pdf and tried again.  the text and images are all over the place. CS message - You chose 5.5 x 8.5 but your file is 8.5x11. Text is outside the margins, insufficient gutter. What did i miss? What do I need to do differently? Have been experimenting with different converters from word to pdf, but so far still not working.

Oct 27, 2010
351. Nov 14, 2017 6:10 PM in response to: BuffaloGal

BuffaloGal wrote:

What do I need to do differently?

You seem to have an uncanny knack of finding all the common pitfalls and tripping into them. You are working on quite a complex book by the sounds of it. I strongly advise anyone working with large numbers of images not to persist with MS-Word, but I know that that advice usually goes unheeded. It is just that Word is not forgiving with large documents, frequently reduces image dpi without notice, and struggles to output a decent pdf file. I would also advise you not to use CreateSpace templates. It is no surprise that the template changed your fonts, etc. That is the whole purpose of templates, after all.

So what do I suggest you do?

• Easy option - see if Steve at bookow.com can format the book for you.
  • Self-help option - use better software (e.g. LibreOffice)
  • Stubborn option - stick with Word, but not the template, and refer to as many YouTube formatting tutorial videos as you can.
Level 1 19 posts since
Sep 3, 2015
352. Nov 14, 2017 6:41 PM in response to: Maaku

Hi Maaku and thank you for your reply.  Hmmmm.  I don't know Libre.  Would Pages work better?

Oct 27, 2010
353. Nov 14, 2017 6:56 PM in response to: BuffaloGal

I have never used Pages, but I seem to remember people here saying that it no longer allows mirror margins. Otherwise, maybe it is worth a try, but I do recommend LibreOffice 5.3.7:

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

Level 1 19 posts since
Sep 3, 2015
354. Nov 15, 2017 9:36 PM in response to: Maaku

Thanks Maaku.  Feeling desperate!  Downloading Libre Office now.

Level 0 7 posts since
Dec 6, 2010
355. Dec 4, 2017 12:44 PM in response to: BuffaloGal

Did you start with a 5.5X8.5 templet? The choice I had on my Word templet was not there. 5X8 was there and them 5X11 which you choosed.

Wrong. Go to <https://forums.createspace.com/en/community/docs/DOC-1323> and find the correct size for 5.5 X 5.8 it will give you the right

size.

My problem is when copying text from one templet to another it will not give me more than 46 pages! Do you know how to get an unlimiited

page templet?

Good Luck, I am stumped and have no where to turn.

Level 5 19,486 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
356. Dec 4, 2017 1:11 PM in response to: BuffaloGal

LIbreOffice or OpenOffice, different forks, same basic program, has great manuals. Look for them and download them.  LibreOffice works a little differently from Word.  My sense of Pages, which I do not use, is that it is a nightmare.

OpenOffice isn't perfect, but then neither is InDesign!   Make frequent copies of your files.

CS used to try to fix complicated files that didn't want to print well, now it does not.  They'll send out a "too complex or corrupt" letter.  If this happens check my free pages for how to fix this.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 0 1 posts since
Mar 12, 2017
357. Mar 9, 2018 9:21 PM in response to: walton

Walton - Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I have downloaded two of your guides and will be reading them this weekend. I have been fighting format and layout problems with Microsoft Word (no surprise to anyone). I have downloaded LibreOffice_5.4.5_Win_x64 and will see if it will solve my problems. I have a book with a high picture count (photographs and news clippings) that plays heck in Word. Thanx again.....

Level 0 1 posts since
Jan 15, 2018
358. Mar 29, 2018 5:13 AM in response to: Ricocrossfire

my book is for proofing, i made some corrections and i upload succesfully but when i launch the interior reviewer ther is no changes at all. i did it many times and still the result is thesame.

Level 2 241 posts since
Mar 8, 2017
359. Mar 29, 2018 6:58 AM in response to: Agila3

Agila3 wrote:

my book is for proofing, i made some corrections and i upload succesfully but when i launch the interior reviewer ther is no changes at all. i did it many times and still the result is thesame.

Sometimes it's just a simple oversight.

When you made the changes to your manuscript, did you save it & make sure you uploaded the new version, not the original one?

If yes, then I've no idea as that seems to be the most likely problem

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...