Skip navigation
1,411 Views 21 Replies Last post: Dec 5, 2017 7:00 AM by Spiritualized RSS Go to original post
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 5 4,204 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated
15. Nov 22, 2017 3:40 AM in response to: Spiritualized
Re: Photo problems after successful review

LibreOffice will accept your Word documents and I don't expect it to have any problems with margins or fonts.

Adjusting saturation makes no difference with greyscale images, as it is a colour attribute.

I usually enhance contrast, only sometimes adjust the gamma curve if detail gets lost, and can't ever remember adjusting brightness in order to improve the printed appearance. Sometimes auto histogram adjustment is also worth a try, but it doesn't always improve things. When you increase contrast, watch out for visible bands appearing in what had previously been a smooth gradient. If you see banding, reduce the contrast until it disappears.

Level 3 416 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
17. Nov 22, 2017 6:12 PM in response to: Spiritualized

Great!  Sounds like you've probably cleared that hurdle.

On adjusting photos, I suggest inserting a grayscale in a test book or in your first proof.  There should be at least 11 steps running from black (0) to white (255).  You'll then have a reference for the shade each of those digital values will print with CS's process, and you can then adjust the image "by the numbers."

Level 5 19,209 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
20. Dec 4, 2017 3:35 PM in response to: Spiritualized

Rollers or over inking . . . I don't know the exact process used to get ink on the image plate.  In conventional printing, the ink well has keys space very say two inches.  Pressmen routinely tweak them to keep the from having what you show.  Or there is a problem in one of the rollers, which can produce streaks, also.

Assuming I'm right about the cause, nothing you can do to your images will eliminate what is a maintenance problem on the press.  If it is bad enough, CS should replace the book.  See https://www.createspace.com/Special/Help/Rights/Guarantee.jsp

If I can interpret what I see in the scan, I would work more on your images.  In Curves or Levels (I prefer Curves), I would set the white and black points (almost every image will have them).  I would adjust the mid-tones.  WIth only rare exceptions, images never look better commercially printed.  You need to squeeze everything you can out of the image, and with CS (1 color only in black and white, 106 lpi) you need even more help.  When you've adjusted the overall image, look at the sharpness.  I usually use several methods on the same image (unsharp mask (low amount, 1-2 px, high amount, 150-250%), hiraloam (unsharp mask at high radius (10-12 px) low amount (20-40%), emboss, high pass, etc.). I'll use opacity sliders sometimes down to 2%.  I will use masks and selections for sharpening.  There's more, but that should give you an idea.  I figure prepress adjustments take between half an hour to a day or two, depending on the issues.

I generally use JPGs for images, so they are automatically flattened.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...