Skip navigation
710 Views 9 Replies Last post: Dec 18, 2017 4:43 AM by Oreohelix RSS
Level 0 3 posts since
Nov 16, 2017
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 3, 2017 5:34 AM

File too complex...

Hello,

i was uploading the third time a PDF-Document. Last time as PDF x 3. But i get always that problem:

We are unable to process the interior file because it is too complex.  This means the file is either taking too long to process or may be  failing due to excessive amounts of file information. Though the file  may open, we are unable to process the file to prepare it for print.  These steps may also help resolve this issue:

https://www.createspace.com/Help/Index.jsp?orgId=00D300000001Sh9&id=50170000000khh1

Actually iam asking myself, if the problem are the "black pages". Because i have 3 Chapters and they are completly with black background and white font.

Can you help me? Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Andy

Level 5 3,897 posts since
Feb 1, 2011
1. Dec 4, 2017 10:38 AM in response to: AndyPas007
Re: File too complex...

Actually iam asking myself, if the problem are the "black pages". Because i have 3 Chapters and they are completly with black background and white font.

That is NOT the problem - several of my photo books have black pages and white text.

If I were you I would upload the exact same file again - after changing the name of it.  This has always worked for me when I have received the "file too complex" notification from CS.  I have always just uploaded it again and it has generally been approved the second time around.  Sometimes I have had to make a third attempt.

Please understand that every human reviewer who works for CS has his or her own life, pressures, stresses, etc. and sometimes that person is not in a good mood.  I guess that means that if things do not go precisely as they expect, they just say our files are too complex and they move on to the next file in their queue.

Dan'l

Level 5 19,493 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
2. Dec 4, 2017 2:51 PM in response to: AndyPas007

CS used to fix a variety of problems, now lumped under the "too complex or corrupt" rubric. TechSupport claimed they had changed "software vendors" and the new software was problematic.  I think, yes, they probably had problems, but also, it just took too long.

If your PDF is okay, then check out Corrupt or Too Complex to Print. It's free.

Do you have Acrobat?

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 3 452 posts since
Oct 16, 2014
5. Dec 5, 2017 7:19 AM in response to: AndyPas007

We are unable to process the interior file because it is too complex.  This means the file is either taking too long to process or may be failing due to excessive amounts of file information.

Something that has been rolling around in the back of my mind for a while is that one case of the "too complex" error is just another instance of a cloud server that has become very slow or stopped responding when the reviewer is loading some page.  That would account for at least some portion of the variable nature of the message.

The effect would probably be similar to the many complaints we see on the forum about file uploads taking far too long, or when someone is waiting of the IR to load or a page to update.

Level 5 19,493 posts since
Sep 5, 2009
6. Dec 5, 2017 10:28 AM in response to: AndyPas007

Your freelancer should be able to convert text to outline. This is the "secret."  It was very common years ago, when fonts were often problematic from one system to another.  Nowadays it is rarely used . . . but it will eliminate font/text related problems in most cases.  The conversion process will often find corruption issues that might be causing problems.  When I have done text to outline, the process will stop when certain problems are encountered . . . and these can usually be fixed in the original document.  So you get two fixes: the fonts are removed from file and corruptions are located (necessarily fixed) . . . where either or both could have been the problem CS encountered.

Although you should be able to convert text to outline in InDesign, it's never worked for me.  I use Acrobat: Tools > Print Production > Flattener Preview.

Walton

Bleeds,  free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary: free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations for  CreateSpace users Type & Typography: free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary, and type specimen pages  Free: list of free PDF downloads; selfpublishingforum: spam free forum. Contact  for graphics, design, and typesetting help.

Level 0 3 posts since
Dec 1, 2015
7. Dec 17, 2017 6:28 PM in response to: danwiz

REALLY?!? That's your excuse for the employees—that they're having a bad day. C'mon, what about professionalism, etc, etc,???

Level 4 2,741 posts since
Feb 7, 2015
8. Dec 17, 2017 8:55 PM in response to: ScottyB34

ScottyB34 wrote:

C'mon, what about professionalism, etc, etc,???

That costs extra.

Level 4 2,669 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
9. Dec 18, 2017 4:43 AM in response to: ScottyB34

No one is making excuses, but it's a reasonable explanation for why messages from them can be different at times.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...