Skip navigation
1,973 Views 12 Replies Last post: Dec 30, 2017 12:24 AM by Maaku RSS
Level 5 4,211 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 22, 2017 8:17 PM

Amazon in Australia

A message to fellow antipodeans

The light has come. Amazon.com.au has opened as a proper retail portal, selling not just the downloadable wares of before, but all sorts of indispensibles including paper books. Actual books on paper.

If you log in and have Australia as your location, you will see a different home page on the site. If you do not log in, it will look like it has for ages.

I haven't actually ordered a book to see if the process works, but I am of course disappointed to see that CreateSpace books will still be shipped from the USA.

Even more disappointing: it seems non-CreateSpace books are shipped from the USA, too, including some produced in Australia. A comparison I just did showed AUD cost + shipping as follows:

• Amazon.com.au $31.79
  • Booktopia.com.au $17.75

No contest there.

Level 2 468 posts since
Sep 11, 2013
1. Nov 24, 2017 2:09 AM in response to: Maaku
Re: Amazon in Australia

Don't they have prime in Oz for free shipping?

cheers. Ed

Level 5 15,401 posts since
May 4, 2008
3. Nov 25, 2017 1:13 AM in response to: Maaku

My homepage looks the same as usual — ebooks, audiobooks and apps only, except for a banner saying that the Marketplace is coming soon. That might also explain why the books you see are so expensive. Is there a link for price matching?

Michelle

-—--—--—

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 3 318 posts since
Feb 11, 2016
8. Dec 5, 2017 7:11 AM in response to: Maaku

The New York Times had an article today that Amazon Australia began operations today so I assume it relates to having a much bigger selection of products than the old Amazon Australia website.

I did some quick searching of my own books and it seems that some, but not all, of my EDC books are listed.  Also, I did not see any of my non-EDC books there.  I also did not see the Look Inside feature.  They also only had about 600,000 createspace books (i.e. those books that use the CS ISBN) which is a lot lower than those who actually have CS ISBNs.

Level 5 15,401 posts since
May 4, 2008
10. Dec 5, 2017 4:52 PM in response to: Maaku

I'm feeling very lukewarm about the whole thing. Until Amazon starts sourcing from Ingram and not just selling books via the Marketplace (ie. Book Depository) I'm not going to spend much time watching what they're doing. I am looking at becoming a seller though, as I have several titles I've printed offset that I want to sell on Amazon. The POD titles will continue to be supplied via Ingram.

Michelle

-—--—--—

Odyssey Publishing -- editing, cover design and book formatting services to help you on your publishing journey.

Odyssey Books -- quality fiction and non-fiction -- where books are an adventure!

Level 0 1 posts since
Dec 16, 2017
11. Dec 29, 2017 6:03 PM in response to: Maaku

My book is listed as unavailable in Australia, which is dissapointing because I wanted to sell it to my audience mostly in Australia.
The shipping from the US is very expensive.

Hope CS gets put in Australia soon!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...