Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (10 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (5 pts)
363 Views 3 Replies Last post: Dec 6, 2017 1:11 PM by Maaku RSS
Level 0 2 posts since
Aug 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 6, 2017 11:08 AM

Approved my proof but private sellers hacking in?

Hi, late Monday night I approved my last proof and pushed the publish button for my new novel. CreateSpace told me it would be 3-5 business days before the book's Amazon selling page went up, but in the meantime four third-party sellers are already offering copies at different prices, three of them much higher than I chose. This is not a good look, particularly for my readers who are expecting the fair price. When I called CreateSpace for info they said there was a technical problem with uploading new book pages that they were working on. Okay, but since when can third-party people get involved this early? Has anyone else had this issue?

Level 1 135 posts since
Jul 19, 2016
1. Dec 6, 2017 12:23 PM in response to: Polmeister
Re: Approved my proof but private sellers hacking in?

Although there a ton of posts on this topic, which can be found by using the search bar in the upper right hand corner, I'll answer your question.

Think of 3rd party sellers as 'little stores' within Amazon.
Although these store sell our books, they still have buy them from Amazon listings, meaning we get our usual royalty. What profit they make off it is up to them. It's similar to a regular store buying a book and selling in their shop. You get your royalty, they get their profit.

I personally, think this is a bonus because many of these 3rd party sellers have large numbers of follower. So in a sense, it free advertising for us.

I myself, educate my regular customers as to what/who 3rd party sellers are and how they work.
For the most part 3rd party sellers offer our books for sale but they also include other costs like extra/higher shipping cost, handling fees, and the like.

I once had a customer buy one of my books from a 3rd party seller in UK. She got her book 3 weeks later and a month later, I received my 23 cents in royalties from a EDC sale. 

Level 4 2,558 posts since
Jul 2, 2011
2. Dec 6, 2017 12:25 PM in response to: GoMePub

What GoMePub said.

Also, yes, some of those sellers are lightning fast with their listings.

Level 5 4,128 posts since
Oct 27, 2010
3. Dec 6, 2017 1:11 PM in response to: Polmeister

Self-publishers complain about third-party sellers setting high prices. They complain about third-party sellers setting low prices. They complain about third-party sellers being there. They complain about resellers for all the same reasons, plus the fact that they persist in offering books that are no longer in print. They complain about Amazon discounts, about negative reviews, about books with similar names, about almost everything that they have no control over.

Breathe.

Create.

Rise.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...